Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skylights: double up the rafters?

Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Aaron,

I'd be looking for a new carpenter. This statement by s/he, speaks
volumes about their knowledge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/24/2008 3:40 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Yes.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 10/24/2008 3:40 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Yes.

Wrong information, for the question asked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Thanks,

Aaron

Not unless the skylight runs most of the way from the wall plate to the
ridge. A typical residential skylight, no more than 24x48, will be no
problem unless the roof is weirdly framed. It is usually a good idea to
box the 2 rafters around the hole, though. Keeps the area stiffer, and
makes the skylight less likely to leak. I'm old fashioned, I like to see
a box frame extending through the roof, with the metal skylight frame
several inches above the shingles. Makes it easier to change down the
road when it fails, since the skylight waterproofing is above the main
flashing where the shingles and box frame come together. It also reduces
the chances of ice dams on the skylight. Unless you have a cathedral
ceiling, you'll be framing up a tube down to the finish ceiling anyway.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 7:49*pm, "Toffee Monday" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

s.com...

On 10/24/2008 3:40 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Yes.

Wrong information, for the question asked.

Normally, the rafters are not doubled up. A typical skylight
requires one rafter to be cut to make a large enough opening, and that
is what is done. Then the opening is boxed in to the right size using
a doubled cross piece the same dimension as the rafter at the top of
the opening and at the bottom that is tied in to the rafters on either
side. That provides sufficient structural integrity. In essence the
cut rafter is still there and carrying load, it's just tied in now
with the skylight framing.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Oct 24, 6:49 pm, "Toffee Monday" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

s.com...

On 10/24/2008 3:40 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Yes.

Wrong information, for the question asked.

I've been a carpenter for 30 years. I have yet to
see a communities building code that doesn't require
doubling up the rafters. It's typical for bigger towns
and cities.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:57:40 -0400, Toffee Monday wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Aaron,

I'd be looking for a new carpenter. This statement by s/he, speaks
volumes about their knowledge.

Reasoning is incorrect, but I would double up the rafters to stiffen it up
to guard against flex-induced cracking. I like to overbuild so I don't
have to do any repairs later.

Mike D.

P.S. get off googlegroups. Many a wise man blocks them out and your post
is only seen if a less wise person fails to filter them.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Lou" wrote in message
On Oct 24, 6:49 pm, "Toffee Monday" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

s.com...

On 10/24/2008 3:40 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Yes.

Wrong information, for the question asked.

I've been a carpenter for 30 years. I have yet to
see a communities building code that doesn't require
doubling up the rafters. It's typical for bigger towns
and cities.
Lou

Even if it isn't code, there is nothing lost by over engineering a
modification, much can be lost by doing the minimum or worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:57:40 -0400, Toffee Monday wrote:

Reasoning is incorrect, but I would double up the rafters to stiffen it
up
to guard against flex-induced cracking. I like to overbuild so I don't
have to do any repairs later.

Mike D.

P.S. get off googlegroups. Many a wise man blocks them out and your post
is only seen if a less wise person fails to filter them.

You miss what the OP said, about in between rafters. Doubling up the
rafters will no absolutely nothing, but waste time.

If you're referring to me about googlegroups, you might what to learn about
servers. I'm not posting through Google.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Oct 24, 7:49 pm, "Toffee Monday" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

s.com...

On 10/24/2008 3:40 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Normally, the rafters are not doubled up. A typical skylight
requires one rafter to be cut to make a large enough opening, and that
is what is done. Then the opening is boxed in to the right size using
a doubled cross piece the same dimension as the rafter at the top of
the opening and at the bottom that is tied in to the rafters on either
side. That provides sufficient structural integrity. In essence the
cut rafter is still there and carrying load, it's just tied in now
with the skylight framing.

I'm very proficient in framing, you needn't attempt to tell me how framing
is done.

You missed the OP's question, I suggest you re-read it. They're not cutting
any rafters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message

I've been a carpenter for 30 years. I have yet to
see a communities building code that doesn't require
doubling up the rafters. It's typical for bigger towns
and cities.

Absolutely not. I call you on this. You may have been a handyman for 30
years, a carpenter, no. There's no code which calls for "doubling rafters",
in the OP's situation.

In fact, type into your favorite search engine on how to install a
skylight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Aaron,

I'd be looking for a new carpenter. This statement by s/he, speaks
volumes about their knowledge.

Reasoning is incorrect, but I would double up the rafters to stiffen it up
to guard against flex-induced cracking. I like to overbuild so I don't
have to do any repairs later.

Mike D.

P.S. get off googlegroups. Many a wise man blocks them out and your post
is only seen if a less wise person fails to filter them.

I'm not a roofer or carpenter, but have one thought aboutt this.
Skylights often leak, so the reasoning
may be that if there is a leak and rot later on, doubling up will help
ensure strength and support of the
roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi,
My last house had a few skylights. Didn't have a reinforced rafters.
I was the original owner and lived in that house almost 20 years.
Did not have any problem anything to do with sky lights. Now I live
in this house custom built in '94 per our plan. We did away with sky
lights, we have all glass all season sun room now like a green house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 24, 5:40*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Thanks,

Aaron

If the roof is on engineered trusses, modifications are needed. Allay
your doubts by getting sound professional advice (architect) and
asking questions at your building inspection department. We can't give
you good advice based on so little information. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 9:14*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

This is where I'm putting skylights:

http://freeboundaries.com/howtoframe.jpg

They are 22x54 and I will have 4 of them and a cathedral ceiling.

What would your recommendation be about that?

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...

I'm not a roofer or carpenter, but have one thought aboutt this.
Skylights often leak, so the reasoning
may be that if there is a leak and rot later on, doubling up will help
ensure strength and support of the
roof.

Skylights leak, simply because they're not installed properly. I had one
architect tell me all skylights leak, he wondered why I looked at him like
he had 4 heads. Then I explained about installation.

Doubling up rafters offers nothing. If this were the case, every
penetration would need doubled up rafters. Such as vents, soil stacks,
chimney flues, etc. Take a peek in your attic, you'll not see a doubled up
rafter at any penetration, unless you have an over-sized chimney spanning
several rafters.

When installing skylights, you do need to put blocking between the 2
rafters.

People tend to think because the sheathing ends at a skylight, you need
double rafters. If this were the case, you would need double rafters on the
entire structure, since sheathing starts at the eave & ends at the ridge.
In other words, it has to start somewhere, and end somewhere, and there's
no blocking at the eave or ridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Thanks,

Aaron

how can a hole in a wall weaken the roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Thanks,

Aaron

Defintely NOT, as you stated it anyway. But I think something was lost
in the translation. I'd bet on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TWayne" wrote in message
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Thanks,

Aaron

Defintely NOT, as you stated it anyway. But I think something was lost in
the translation. I'd bet on it.

My guess is he's talking about the roof deck or the ceiling below the
skylight. It does weaken the structure slightly but I don't know what
sistering the rafters is needed. For a truly accurate answer, you'd have to
know the span, the skylight size and the rest of the construction details.
I'd check to see if the skylight manufacturer has suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Oct 25, 10:33 am, "Toffee Monday" wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

I've been a carpenter for 30 years. I have yet to
see a communities building code that doesn't require
doubling up the rafters. It's typical for bigger towns
and cities.

Absolutely not. I call you on this. You may have been a handyman for 30
years, a carpenter, no. There's no code which calls for "doubling rafters",
in the OP's situation.

In fact, type into your favorite search engine on how to install a
skylight.

Call me on it all you want you moron, there are codes on this. It has
to do with
any sizable opening in the roof whether for a skylight, chimney, or
even a dormer.
Not only have I been a card carrying carpenter for 30 years, I can
out build you, out work you, and
apparently out think you any day, any time, any where. You are
obviously nothing
more than a hack with daddy's hammer. Get back behind the McDonald's
counter
where you belong.
Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weakens the roof. Do you agree with that?

[...]

Aaron- Hide quoted text -

That doesn't look like trusses.
They look like otherwise unsupported two by four rafters?
Span?
On what ....... 24 inch centres?
Any snow load? Human load (while working on roof?
If any are going to be cut best get some advice; if not to be cut roof
structure will be much the same as it is now!
Doubling up as mentioned by some will also help to stiffen the roof
around skylights which should reduce flexing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lou" wrote in message
Call me on it all you want you moron, there are codes on this. It has
to do with
any sizable opening in the roof whether for a skylight, chimney, or
even a dormer.
Not only have I been a card carrying carpenter for 30 years, I can
out build you, out work you, and
apparently out think you any day, any time, any where. You are
obviously nothing
more than a hack with daddy's hammer. Get back behind the McDonald's
counter
where you belong.

Geez, I seemed to hit a nerve! BTW, there's nothing wrong with being a
handyman, if you have a clue!

Now I know you have a reading comprehension problem, but the OP said they
were going between rafters. Since you obviously do not know how to use
Google, I took it upon myself to do part of your homework for you.

Here's an article from Fine Home Building, page 86 will help you with your
lack of knowledge.
http://tinyurl.com/6bk4c8
-OR-
http://books.google.com/books?id=_-F...esult#PPA86,M1

Please quit making yourself look like a fool! Anyone with any knowledge
knows if you've been a card carrier for 30 years, please 4 years of
apprenticeship, should not still be doing any type of framing work! Your
agility is shot, and you had better moved on to at the very least,
supervision!

Now, it's time to show that code you been trying to play or shut up!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 11:27*am, "Toffee Monday" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 24, 7:49 pm, "Toffee Monday" wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

rs.com...

On 10/24/2008 3:40 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Normally, the rafters are not doubled up. * A typical skylight
requires one rafter to be cut to make a large enough opening, and that
is what is done. *Then the opening is boxed in to the right size using
a doubled cross piece the same dimension as the rafter at the top of
the opening and at the bottom that is tied in to the rafters on either
side. *That provides sufficient structural integrity. * In essence the
cut rafter is still there and carrying load, it's just tied in now
with the skylight framing.

I'm very proficient in framing, you needn't attempt to tell me how framing
is done.

Last time I checked, people in this thread were giving advice to the
guy who made the original post, not you, so no need to get testy.

You missed the OP's question, I suggest you re-read it. They're not cutting
any rafters.-

Well, I did mis-read the question a bit. And you could certainly
take the question that way. However, just because some homeowner on
here says they are putting a skylight between 2 rafters, doesn't mean
they aren't cutting one out in between the two. If you cut one in
the middle, you still have a skylight between two rafters. No
mention was made of the size of the sklight or the spacing of the
rafters. Just that fact alone should tell you that the person
seeking advice may not fully understand the situation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I'm very proficient in framing, you needn't attempt to tell me how
framing
is done.

Last time I checked, people in this thread were giving advice to the
guy who made the original post, not you, so no need to get testy.

You replied to me specifically, not the OP. Look at the thread, if you
wanted to reply to the OP, don't do it through me.

LOL, you're trying to tell me not to get testy? I have news for you, don't
reply to anything, if you're going to attempt to dictate the responses.

You missed the OP's question, I suggest you re-read it. They're not
cutting
any rafters.-

Well, I did mis-read the question a bit. And you could certainly
take the question that way. However, just because some homeowner on
here says they are putting a skylight between 2 rafters, doesn't mean
they aren't cutting one out in between the two. If you cut one in
the middle, you still have a skylight between two rafters. No
mention was made of the size of the sklight or the spacing of the
rafters. Just that fact alone should tell you that the person
seeking advice may not fully understand the situation.

If you want to read something into the question posed, that's your right.

skylights? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 4 April 19th 08 09:57 PM
Replacing Skylights Rickster Home Repair 1 October 7th 06 11:17 PM
Skylights? phaeton Home Repair 14 November 23rd 05 05:14 PM
skylights mike hide Woodworking 3 September 11th 05 01:22 AM
Shades For Skylights ? Robert11 Home Repair 1 May 31st 05 10:05 PM