Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default how much is a square?

badgolferman, 11/2/2008,9:44:21 PM, wrote:

Okay, here are the rough calculations.

80' x 40' There is about a foot of overhang front and back. The
back slope is constant from the tip to the end with no other
angles. The front starts with steeper angle from the top but the
slope becomes less acute halfway down. There is one section over
the master bedroom that has a different peak than the rest of the
house.

I'm not a pro roofer or even a frequent flyer roofer so I can't
picture in my head what you are talking about for the roof. But if
it's only 1 floor and 80 by 40, that's 3200 sf. So add say 15%
(previously used 20 for the heck of it) for waste and pitch and you
have 3200+480...about 37 square. Pretty close to the roofers guess
of 40.

How you get your stated 1800 sq ft house under a 40x80 roof is I
just cannot envision.

I have a two-car garage, three large bedrooms, big kitchen, big living
room, converted den on garage level, two bathrooms. City assessment
shows 1865 sq. ft. but I don't know if that includes the den and
garage or just "livable space". Let's lower the dimensions to 78' x
38' which is probably closer to actual. Regarding the pitch, from
the peak to about halfway down it's a steeper angle than it is from
halfway down to the eave.

Here's a front shot of the house before I bought it:
http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/...1m_c4bd762.jpg

Look at the right edge and see how the pitch changes.