Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how much is a square?

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It seems
I can't get the terminology right while making a search.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:24:19 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It seems
I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Good question for the roofer, eh?

No. A bundle is 33.33 square feet. "In most cases, 3 bundles = 1
square."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It seems
I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

A square is 100 square feet or 10x10 area

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "RBM"
wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It seems
I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

A square is 100 square feet or 10x10 area

And three bundles of standard three-tab shingles will cover one square.

Or four bundles of some premium shingles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It seems
I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How big a
house is this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It
seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How
big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It
seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How
big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

might be.

do you know the pitch?

Over estimating the squares is a common ploy to charge more.

did you have more than one estimate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt, 11/1/2008,6:41:19 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It
seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof.
How big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

might be.

do you know the pitch?

Over estimating the squares is a common ploy to charge more.

did you have more than one estimate?

Not yet. My neighbor was getting his roof replaced today and I asked
the Mexicans to give me an estimate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

it would have to be damn steep to make 4000 sq. feet of roof on a 1800 sq.
ft of house. Better get some more bids.

OR get out a tape measure and measure it up yourself.

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It
seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How
big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "badgolferman" wrote:
Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It
seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How
big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

If one square = 100 sq ft, obviously 40 squares = 4000 sq ft. You tell me if
that seems like too much for an 1800-sf house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Colbyt" wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It
seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How
big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

might be.

do you know the pitch?

Pfffft. Doesn't matter. Even with a 12-pitch roof -- which would be *really*
unusual on a ranch house -- it's still too much. More common pitch on a ranch
house is about 4; assuming a 1-foot overhang all the way around, and making a
small allowance for waste, that means about 24 or 25 squares.

Over estimating the squares is a common ploy to charge more.

Ayup.

did you have more than one estimate?

If not... I think he'd better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It
seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How
big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

If the pitch is very low, the number might be in range if the roofer
simply wrote 40 square
when he meant 40 bundles but still not right. I found links to a roof
slope site that shows
examples, he
http://roofgenius.com/Roof-Pitch-Examples.asp

Roofing calculator, he
http://www.servicemagic.com/resource...oofing.13.html

How much overhang?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It
seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How
big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

Yea it does considering the limited info we have. Also, when sq footage
of a house is stated for real estate purposes, that is only for living
space. Garages and outbuildings are not included.

Roughly, if you had a 24x40 two story, the living space is 24x40x2=1920
sq ft. For roofing purposes it's VERY ROUGHLY 1000 sq ft. Waste,
overhangs, pitch, valleys, etc. have to be taken into consideration. 1000
is really way shy. See later in this post. Just trying to give you a feel
for it.

This is all very rough but let's say your ranch is ONE story with 1800 sq
ft. If it were 24 deep it would have to be 75ft long. Assume a 2ft
overhang all around which comes to 75+75-24+24 or about 200 linear ft.
200*2ft wide=400 sq ft for overhang. So far we have 1800 house+400
overhang=2200sf total. Give 10% for waste and 10% for pitch. 2200+220+220
=2640sf (27 square) for one level house with no garage.

Let's add in a 24x24 garage with the same assumptions.
garage 24x24=576sf
overhang 24x4x2=192sf
garage roof total about 775sf
waste & pitch add 20% - 775*1.2=930sf (about 10 square)

So the house and garage is 2640+930=3570. Now we are talking 36 square
which says 40, as a guess, is possible. But if your place is two story
then 40 square is way off.

Two story 24x40 with 2ft overhang.

House 24*40=960sf of roofing
Overhang (24+24+40+40)*2=256sf
waste & pitch (960+256)*1.2=1459sf or 15 square.

Add in that garage and it's 15+10=25 square.

Let's see if I made some stupid blunder here. I'm sure someone will point
it out! :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a 60x30 one story ranch. Based on a square
being 100 sq ft, a flat roof would be 18 squares.
Figure in 6 ft to the peak and call it less than
20 squares. Than add 4 squares because I don't
do these calcs for a living and round it up to 24
squares.

The first four estimates I got were 34, 32, 30, and
30 squares with prices ranging $5,400 to $7,500.
Not one of the estimators took out a tape or walked
the roof. Everyone of them said there was one layer
already on the roof so it was a roof-over. When I
said I wanted the roof torn off, they said it was
unnecessary and would cost an extra $1,000 to $1,200.
I knew there were two layers already on it.

A roof replacement was not an immediate need so I
waited a year. Finally someone walked the roof.
said it was 24 squares, already had two layers so
it was a tear-off, had two soft-spots which would
probably need new underlayment, made a few other
suggestions, and priced it at $4,650.

It's the difference between dealing with a roofer
and dealing with a commissioned sales person for
a roofing company.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It seems
I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Square is 10X10. Generaly 3 bundles to the square if I remember from
the last roof I did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
[...]

Dick:

Where did you get these estimates?

Thanks

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"retired54" wrote in message

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
[...]

My experience dealing with many general contractors and roofing
subs/companies over the years is that roofers are about the bottom of a
generally rancid barrel. Most all of them have a bad attitude and far too
many of them do a poor job to boot-- especially flashing around corners,
valleys and the chimney.

I was doing a major add-on some years ago in suburban Atlanta and the GC had
the roofing materials delivered-- except the nails for some reason. When the
roofer arrived ( almost three hours late, he said he was walking off the job
because he was only contracted for labor, not materials. I told him to go up
to Home Depot (3 miles away) and get what he needed and I'd reimburse him.
He said he wouldn't do that. Instead of letting the loser walk, I foolishly
offered to go get the nails myself which I did.

He ended up doing a ****-poor job--- we had leaks and several other
problems. The GC had the roof redone out of his pocket. Good for him....I
guess he never used that roofer again. Not sure where he ever got him from.
Most of the other subs on the job were OK--- except the HVAC...but that's
another story...

Posted to alt.home.repair

The first four estimates I got were 34, 32, 30, and
30 squares with prices ranging $5,400 to $7,500.
Not one of the estimators took out a tape or walked
the roof. Everyone of them said there was one layer
already on the roof so it was a roof-over. When I
said I wanted the roof torn off, they said it was
unnecessary and would cost an extra $1,000 to $1,200.
I knew there were two layers already on it.

It's a bitch when you know more than the estimator. You know there's two
layers, and they swear there's one. Any idiot who says it is okay to roof
over old shingles isn't a company worth hiring. It can be done, but they
never see the under side, and therefore don't know if there's any repairs or
replacement that needs to be done.

Hire the most reputable company in town. TELL then what you want done. Pay
the money and enjoy your new roof.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
[...]

Only if you have flat roof. Multiply your answer by the secant of your
roof angle to get the correct answer.

Boden

Posted to alt.home.repair

In a reserve study for HOAs, the area of the roof is taken from an aerial
photo, then 10% is added for pitch. It is a standard, and fairly accurate
estimate unless there is a high pitch ratio. For the purposes of
estimation, this would be fairly accurate.

Why is it that so many people call estimators and don't get out there
themselves with a tape and have an idea before the estimator gets there?
YOU go out and measure and come up with 32 squares. One guy comes in at 30,
another at 35, another at 40, and another at 45.

What does this tell you?

Simple math, and if you can't handle that, hand calculators are 99 cents
now.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 23:21:12 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

[...]

Well, for one, a "ranch" is a single story - otherwize known (in many
markets) as a bungalow and USUALLY has a relatively low pitch roof.
The "typical" ranch has no valleys, but of course there are
exceptions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 08:57:55 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

[...]

When I had my roof done the last time I told the estimators I wanted
15 lb felt over the whole roof, plus the ice guard and 20 year
shingles.
Two etimators said I did not want the felt and I told them goodbye.
The third said he had not been installing roofing felt for several
years but if I was willing to pay for it he would gladly put it on.
When I asked why he was not installing it as general practice he said
"because everybody is too cheap to pay for it". He said he figured the
extra cost of the roofing felt would pay for itself about 4 times over
in extended roof life. (I think the roofing felt, installed, raised
the cost by about $200)
Posted to alt.home.repair

1800 square feet is 18 "square" for roofing. Plus a bit, account of the
pitch. 40 square sounds a bit too much.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How
big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

might be.

do you know the pitch?

Over estimating the squares is a common ploy to charge more.

did you have more than one estimate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is what they said.....

Hemos encargado un montón de dinero y hacerlo muy mal trabajo. Que bebemos
mucha cerveza y mirar a su mujer. Salimos de un lío y la demanda aún más
dinero.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"badgolferman" wrote in message

Not yet. My neighbor was getting his roof replaced today and I asked
the Mexicans to give me an estimate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn, 11/1/2008,8:40:34 PM, wrote:

badgolferman wrote:

Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in

:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is
the measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of
shingles? It seems I can't get the terminology right while
making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof.
How big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

If the pitch is very low, the number might be in range if the roofer
simply wrote 40 square when he meant 40 bundles but still not right.
I found links to a roof slope site that shows examples, he
http://roofgenius.com/Roof-Pitch-Examples.asp

Roofing calculator, he
http://www.servicemagic.com/resource...oofing.13.html

How much overhang?

Okay, here are the rough calculations.

80' x 40' There is about a foot of overhang front and back. The back
slope is constant from the tip to the end with no other angles. The
front starts with steeper angle from the top but the slope becomes less
acute halfway down. There is one section over the master bedroom that
has a different peak than the rest of the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

[...]

You must have a truly huge overhang, or a roof pitch resembling a Swiss
chalet, to have an 80x40 = 3200 sf roof over an 1800 sf house.

Go over your figures again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 23:21:12 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

[...]

Unless it's a raised ranch. Then it's not two or one story. But you're
getting 2x sq footage under the roof. But in that case maybe not 2x sq
footage of living space because of a garage being under living space of
the upper floor.

This is all technocrat info. I read the OP as trying to get his feet wet
to get a fair deal and doesn't have a lot of up front knowledge...and
that's fine. That's what this NG is about. The info I posted was intended
for the OP to look at, ponder and hopefully end up with "Ohhhhhh!, now I
see how it works!".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

badgolferman wrote:

[...]

I'm not a pro roofer or even a frequent flyer roofer so I can't picture in
my head what you are talking about for the roof. But if it's only 1 floor
and 80 by 40, that's 3200 sf. So add say 15% (previously used 20 for the
heck of it) for waste and pitch and you have 3200+480...about 37 square.
Pretty close to the roofers guess of 40.

How you get your stated 1800 sq ft house under a 40x80 roof is I just
cannot envision.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green, 11/2/2008,7:21:40 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

badgolferman wrote:

[...]

I have a two-car garage, three large bedrooms, big kitchen, big living
room, converted den on garage level, two bathrooms. City assessment
shows 1865 sq. ft. but I don't know if that includes the den and garage
or just "livable space". Let's lower the dimensions to 78' x 38' which
is probably closer to actual. Regarding the pitch, from the peak to
about halfway down it's a steeper angle than it is from halfway down to
the eave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman, 11/2/2008,9:44:21 PM, wrote:

[...]

Here's a front shot of the house before I bought it:
http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/...1m_c4bd762.jpg

Look at the right edge and see how the pitch changes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "badgolferman" wrote:

How you get your stated 1800 sq ft house under a 40x80 roof is I just
cannot envision.

I have a two-car garage,

2-car garage is somewhere around 700 sf. Add that to 1865 sf for the house,
and you're still at 2600 sf tops -- really hard to see how it's going to take
4000 sf of shingles to cover that...

three large bedrooms, big kitchen, big living
room, converted den on garage level, two bathrooms. City assessment
shows 1865 sq. ft. but I don't know if that includes the den and garage
or just "livable space". Let's lower the dimensions to 78' x 38' which
is probably closer to actual.

"Probably". Meaning you haven't actually measured it. Meaning you're ripe for
plucking by any unscrupulous contractor.

Regarding the pitch, from the peak to
about halfway down it's a steeper angle than it is from halfway down to
the eave.

I'm trying hard to picture that... and coming to the conclusion that you
stated that backwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message

I have a two-car garage, three large bedrooms, big kitchen, big living
room, converted den on garage level, two bathrooms. City assessment
shows 1865 sq. ft. but I don't know if that includes the den and garage
or just "livable space". . . .

I think that is what is throwing you off. You are looking at the "city
assessment" which shows 1865 sq. ft. That doesn't tell you the dimensions
of your roof (which is over your porch, garage, overhang, etc). So, forget
the 1865 sq. ft. and just use your actual roof dimensions to figure out the
number of squares.

Posted to alt.home.repair

alta47, 11/3/2008,2:43:11 AM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message

I have a two-car garage, three large bedrooms, big kitchen, big
living room, converted den on garage level, two bathrooms. City
assessment shows 1865 sq. ft. but I don't know if that includes the
den and garage or just "livable space". . . .

I think that is what is throwing you off. You are looking at the
"city assessment" which shows 1865 sq. ft. That doesn't tell you the
dimensions of your roof (which is over your porch, garage, overhang,
etc). So, forget the 1865 sq. ft. and just use your actual roof
dimensions to figure out the number of squares.

I got out a tape measure and ran it across the ground. Without someone
holding the end it came out to around 78' x 38'
Posted to alt.home.repair

Whatever you do, get good venting, too.
Such as ridge vent.
Get rid of turbines, and no need for power vents if you have good
venting.
Make sure the soffit venting is not obstructed.

On Nov 1, 2:24*pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. *40 square is the
measurement. *Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? *It seems
I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

alta47, 11/3/2008,2:43:11 AM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message

I have a two-car garage, three large bedrooms, big kitchen, big
living room, converted den on garage level, two bathrooms. City
assessment shows 1865 sq. ft. but I don't know if that includes the
den and garage or just "livable space". . . .

I think that is what is throwing you off. You are looking at the
"city assessment" which shows 1865 sq. ft. That doesn't tell you the
dimensions of your roof (which is over your porch, garage, overhang,
etc). So, forget the 1865 sq. ft. and just use your actual roof
dimensions to figure out the number of squares.

I got out a tape measure and ran it across the ground. Without someone
holding the end it came out to around 78' x 38'

78 x 38 is 2964 sq. ft. Using the roofing calculator and a 6/12 slope
it gives 37 squares.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"badgolferman" wrote in message

I think that is what is throwing you off. You are looking at the
"city assessment" which shows 1865 sq. ft. That doesn't tell you the
dimensions of your roof (which is over your porch, garage, overhang,
etc). So, forget the 1865 sq. ft. and just use your actual roof
dimensions to figure out the number of squares.

I got out a tape measure and ran it across the ground. Without someone
holding the end it came out to around 78' x 38'

I did understand that you did those measurements. I was just pointing out
that you started questioning the 40-square estimate that you received by
stating that you only have an 1800 sq. ft. house.

As someone else posted, the real roof measurements that you took (78' x 38')
make the 40-square estimate seem reasonable, especially since there is a
second peak/ridge line for the peak that you see from the front of the house
(based on the photo link you posted). That adds additional square footage
to the area of the roof surface.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It seems
I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Good question for the roofer, eh?

No. A bundle is 33.33 square feet.

Not necessarily. That depends on the shingles. A square is 100 sq ft, period.
A bundle is usually 33.33 sq ft, but not always.

Screw Heads: Square Recess vs Square Phillips vs Star vs Lox vs ... abby Woodworking 3 August 6th 08 03:34 PM
square head--not square drive--screws [email protected] Woodworking 4 June 13th 05 09:03 PM
Which faces of a machinists square are square? Ben Jackson Metalworking 16 March 15th 05 11:24 PM
Square Tubing joe Metalworking 0 November 21st 04 12:52 AM
Hip to be square mttt Woodworking 13 October 6th 03 09:38 PM