Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default how much is a square?

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Norminn, 11/1/2008,8:40:34 PM, wrote:

badgolferman wrote:

Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in

:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is
the measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of
shingles? It seems I can't get the terminology right while
making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof.
How big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

If the pitch is very low, the number might be in range if the roofer
simply wrote 40 square when he meant 40 bundles but still not right.
I found links to a roof slope site that shows examples, he
http://roofgenius.com/Roof-Pitch-Examples.asp

Roofing calculator, he
http://www.servicemagic.com/resource...oofing.13.html

How much overhang?

Okay, here are the rough calculations.

80' x 40' There is about a foot of overhang front and back. The back
slope is constant from the tip to the end with no other angles. The
front starts with steeper angle from the top but the slope becomes less
acute halfway down. There is one section over the master bedroom that
has a different peak than the rest of the house.

I'm not a pro roofer or even a frequent flyer roofer so I can't picture in
my head what you are talking about for the roof. But if it's only 1 floor
and 80 by 40, that's 3200 sf. So add say 15% (previously used 20 for the
heck of it) for waste and pitch and you have 3200+480...about 37 square.
Pretty close to the roofers guess of 40.

How you get your stated 1800 sq ft house under a 40x80 roof is I just
cannot envision.