Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Another newbie lathe question

On 2008-11-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On 2008-10-31, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Part numbers???

On Oct 30, 10:09*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

* * * * My most commonly used holder is the Aloris BXA-16N -- a
double-ended holder for negative rake inserts -- one for turning, the
other for facing. *This fits (of course) the BXA style wedge type
toolpost which I got made by Phase-II....
* * * * Insert numbers (from a box I keep on the lathe) -- TNMG-322 C6.
* * * * And I particularly like the threading inserts with the angled
support anvils to adjust for the helix of the thread being cut.

* * * * Iscar or Carmex IIRC -- interchangeable lay-down inserts, and
interchangeable angled anvils between the two. *...
* * * * I go to small (55 degree diamond) uncoated inserts with a very
sharp edge for finish cuts on steel where I care about the finish....

* * * * I can't give you a working part number for these. *The holders
are labeled "Tizit", and the inserts are positive rake 55 degree diamond
shaped with 1/4" IC (I think). *... :-)...
* * * * * * * * DoN.

Thanks. The last time carbide came up 'micrograin' was suggested for
light cuts on old lathes. I have the 1/4" and 3/8" TT sets which I use
on stainless and hard cast iron, but they fail quickly by chipping.

These are the sets of five (right, sorta-right, center,
sorta-left, and left) which come with allen head screws
(round/countersink combo head) and no carbide anvils under the insert?
I've tried these, and found them to be fairly useless for exactly the
reasons you give. And the price of the inserts is typically greater
than the price of a set of five with inserts).

The good ones -- AXA-16 or BXA-16 if you have the right toolpost
-- even better with the 16-N version of the proper size for your lathe
and the right inserts to match -- give a lot better results.

The presence of the anvil makes a big difference, and the 16-N
holder combines the part which fits the toolpost dovetail with the
insert holders in one hefty lump of forged steel. Toss in the carbide
anvil and you have proper support for the inserts, so they don't tend to
break.

And there are various styles of carbide (C-2 and C-6 are the
most commonly mentioned) one of which is for tough ferrous and hardened
workpieces, and the other better for non-ferrous.

But still -- if the cross-slide and/or the compound flex, you
can have chips from that. I forget whether you mentioned what your
lathe was -- size and make.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564