Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Soldering Iron for Computer Cables

Rod wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:15:26 UTC, S Viemeister
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'm feeling old. First pint I bought cost 1s 11d. That's just under
10p.

Just under _5_p, I would have thought.

How do you work that out? 10p was 'two shillings'...

Perhaps my brain is tired - but 11d (eleven old pence)is 1d less than
a shilling (12 old pence), and 5 New Pence was one shilling, wasn't
it? So - eleven old pence is just a bit less than 5 new pence.

Correct. Plus the 1s - makes 5p plus just a bit less than 5 new pence -
which is almost 10p. N'est pas?

(Are your eyes reading it as 'First pint I bought cost is 11d."? Not
good grammar bit a quick scan read could skip past that.)

Yep. Brain functioning, _eyes_ tired!