Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default how much is a square?

The first four estimates I got were 34, 32, 30, and
30 squares with prices ranging $5,400 to $7,500.
Not one of the estimators took out a tape or walked
the roof. Everyone of them said there was one layer
already on the roof so it was a roof-over. When I
said I wanted the roof torn off, they said it was
unnecessary and would cost an extra $1,000 to $1,200.
I knew there were two layers already on it.

It's a bitch when you know more than the estimator. You know there's two
layers, and they swear there's one. Any idiot who says it is okay to roof
over old shingles isn't a company worth hiring. It can be done, but they
never see the under side, and therefore don't know if there's any repairs or
replacement that needs to be done.

Hire the most reputable company in town. TELL then what you want done. Pay
the money and enjoy your new roof.

Steve