Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] taylorsm50@verizon.net is offline

Default Getting electric out to the end of the driveway

On Oct 27, 7:03*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"ng_reader" wrote in message

Pretty simple question, really.

I understand that I have to use special electrical cable that can be buried
underground, but how do I get underneath the sidewalk or under the driveway
and such?

If my hunch is correct, it's just brute strength and digging underneath the
sidewalk on both sides. Any special tools to look for?

btw, I'm a phillies fan.

If is is not to hard or rocky, you can use a water jet to drill under with PVC
pipe (or PVC conduit).They sell a kit at Home Depot that contains a hose fitting
and a blaster nozzle to fit on a 1" PVC pipe. Or, you can fake it with pipe
fittings. Sometimes, just connecting a hose to one end, and cutting 1/4" teeth
in the other end will do it.

Dig a ditch at the depth you want. Deep enough to clear rocks and gravel
installed beneath the drive. The ditch doesn't have to be the full length of a
10' pipe section, but long enough thet you can point the pipe parallel to the
surface at the desired depth by flexing the pipe. Holding the pipe to the
bottom, turn on the water and slowly push the pipe into the dirt. If you use the
cut teeth method, twist it back and forth as you go whenever it resists moving
in. Water and dirt will wash out around the pipe. Add pipe sections as needed to
reach as far as you need.

When you've gone far enough to reach the other side, either just dig until you
find that end, or if you don't have a nozzle on the end, there is another trick.
Hook a hose to a long enough roll of 1/2" black plastic pipe, like they use for
drip systems. Slide it through the pipe under the drive, carefully keep it
aligned so that the far end stays trying to go up(It is curved from being in a
roll). Slide it under drive in the PVC pipe until it gets to the other end. Then
turn on the water, and continue pushing it gently. It will wash out its path
until it pops out at the surface.

Where I live, I've used the pipe method to install "sand points" down to the
hardpan layer 16' down(2" PVC), and ran a 1" PVC pipe about 50 feet
horizontally. I do have a good sand layer down below a foot or 2 of soil.

Any idea what Home Depot calls the kit? Sounds just like what I need,
but I can't find it.

Thanks much.