Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting electric out to the end of the driveway

Pretty simple question, really.

I understand that I have to use special electrical cable that can be buried
underground, but how do I get underneath the sidewalk or under the driveway
and such?

If my hunch is correct, it's just brute strength and digging underneath the
sidewalk on both sides. Any special tools to look for?

btw, I'm a phillies fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ng_reader" wrote in message
Pretty simple question, really.

I understand that I have to use special electrical cable that can be
buried underground, but how do I get underneath the sidewalk or under the
driveway and such?

If my hunch is correct, it's just brute strength and digging underneath
the sidewalk on both sides. Any special tools to look for?

btw, I'm a phillies fan.

They make special tools for Phillies fans. Check out the links below. Both
of them are similar in operation. Usually under a sidewalk you can dig a
trench on each side and pound a pipe through to make a hole for your cable
or conduit. Going under a driveway would probably require one of the tools
below. There are also companies that specialize in underground boring and
you might be able to rent a directional boring machine at a contractor's
rental yard.

http://www.borit.com/

http://www.borzit.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ng_reader" wrote in message
Pretty simple question, really.

I understand that I have to use special electrical cable that can be
buried underground, but how do I get underneath the sidewalk or under the
driveway and such?

If my hunch is correct, it's just brute strength and digging underneath
the sidewalk on both sides. Any special tools to look for?

btw, I'm a phillies fan.

There are hydraulic rams for blowing a channel under a driveway, but if it's
not too wide, you may be able to bang a length of galvanized pipe under it.
You need to dig a trench on one side of the driveway to lay the pipe in,
keeping it horizontal to the ground. Also be sure to use a pointy fitting on
the front end of the pipe, or smash it closed. You can cut it open with a
sawzall once it's through

Posted to alt.home.repair

ng_reader wrote:

Pretty simple question, really.

I understand that I have to use special electrical cable that can be
buried underground, but how do I get underneath the sidewalk or under
the driveway and such?

If my hunch is correct, it's just brute strength and digging
underneath the sidewalk on both sides. Any special tools to look for?

Soft soil:
Dig a hole on both sides of the walk. Turn on your garden hose and use
it to wash dirt out from under the walk. Insert a pipe through which
you can run your cable. Backfill.

Hard soil or wide walk:
Do the same thing as for hard soil, but put a metal pipe on the end of
your hose. Use it to get the water jet right at the cutting surface.
You can also use it as a pry bar to move smaller rocks. If the soil is
too hard, let it soak awhile before you try to wash through it.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ng_reader" wrote in message
Pretty simple question, really.

I understand that I have to use special electrical cable that can be buried
underground, but how do I get underneath the sidewalk or under the driveway
and such?

If my hunch is correct, it's just brute strength and digging underneath the
sidewalk on both sides. Any special tools to look for?

btw, I'm a phillies fan.

If is is not to hard or rocky, you can use a water jet to drill under with PVC
pipe (or PVC conduit).They sell a kit at Home Depot that contains a hose fitting
and a blaster nozzle to fit on a 1" PVC pipe. Or, you can fake it with pipe
fittings. Sometimes, just connecting a hose to one end, and cutting 1/4" teeth
in the other end will do it.

Dig a ditch at the depth you want. Deep enough to clear rocks and gravel
installed beneath the drive. The ditch doesn't have to be the full length of a
10' pipe section, but long enough thet you can point the pipe parallel to the
surface at the desired depth by flexing the pipe. Holding the pipe to the
bottom, turn on the water and slowly push the pipe into the dirt. If you use the
cut teeth method, twist it back and forth as you go whenever it resists moving
in. Water and dirt will wash out around the pipe. Add pipe sections as needed to
reach as far as you need.

When you've gone far enough to reach the other side, either just dig until you
find that end, or if you don't have a nozzle on the end, there is another trick.
Hook a hose to a long enough roll of 1/2" black plastic pipe, like they use for
drip systems. Slide it through the pipe under the drive, carefully keep it
aligned so that the far end stays trying to go up(It is curved from being in a
roll). Slide it under drive in the PVC pipe until it gets to the other end. Then
turn on the water, and continue pushing it gently. It will wash out its path
until it pops out at the surface.

Where I live, I've used the pipe method to install "sand points" down to the
hardpan layer 16' down(2" PVC), and ran a 1" PVC pipe about 50 feet
horizontally. I do have a good sand layer down below a foot or 2 of soil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"ng_reader" wrote:

Pretty simple question, really.

I understand that I have to use special electrical cable that can be buried
underground, but how do I get underneath the sidewalk or under the driveway
and such?

If my hunch is correct, it's just brute strength and digging underneath the
sidewalk on both sides. Any special tools to look for?

I "dug" under my sidewalk to run power to the jacuzzi with a garden
hose. Made a lot of mud, but went very quickly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How to fill the hole? I'd be thinking power washer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I "dug" under my sidewalk to run power to the jacuzzi with a garden
hose. Made a lot of mud, but went very quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 7:03*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"ng_reader" wrote in message

[...]

Any idea what Home Depot calls the kit? Sounds just like what I need,
but I can't find it.

Thanks much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 2:50�pm, wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 06:18:19 -0700, Smitty Two

wrote:
In article ,
"ng_reader" wrote:

Pretty simple question, really.

I understand that I have to use special electrical cable that can be buried
underground, but how do I get underneath the sidewalk or under the driveway
and such?

If my hunch is correct, it's just brute strength and digging underneath the
sidewalk on both sides. Any special tools to look for?

I "dug" under my sidewalk to run power to the jacuzzi with a garden
hose. Made a lot of mud, but went very quickly.

Or just rent or hire a mole.......
Moles dig nice tunnels and they are just the right size for a length
of 3/4 inch pvc conduit.

look them up onwww.rentamole.com

OK, just kidding......- Hide quoted text -

make hole no larger than absolutely necessary and expect sidewalks and
driveways to crack where they have been undermined.

any way to run the cable without going under sidewalk and driveway?

[SPAM] Electric forum for electric problems [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 11th 06 01:18 PM
adding electric circuit for air con + general electric questions James UK diy 5 January 25th 05 11:00 PM
Driveway simulet UK diy 7 January 30th 04 06:30 PM
Oil on Driveway timegoesby UK diy 4 January 8th 04 11:52 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 9th 03 12:38 AM