Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default how much is a square?

In article , "Colbyt" wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in
:

Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the
measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It
seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How
big a house is this?

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

might be.

do you know the pitch?

Pfffft. Doesn't matter. Even with a 12-pitch roof -- which would be *really*
unusual on a ranch house -- it's still too much. More common pitch on a ranch
house is about 4; assuming a 1-foot overhang all the way around, and making a
small allowance for waste, that means about 24 or 25 squares.

Over estimating the squares is a common ploy to charge more.

Ayup.

did you have more than one estimate?

If not... I think he'd better.