Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
aws aws is offline

Default Enviro chamber liquid CO2 question?

On Oct 30, 6:33*pm, bart wrote:
Hi all,

I hope I'm not too way off base here in asking for advice, but you
guys seem to know everything!! :-)

Boss at work bought a $99.00 environmental chamber and told me to
"make it work".
( this one's sibling:http://cgi.ebay.com/AES-ENVIRONMENTA...mZ320301576211...)

When we recieved *it, it didn't "do" anything.
I kept flipping the switch back & forth *and eventually some sticky
relays started "working", that is, the heater /fan started working and
the gas solenoid clicked in - depending on the temperature dial.

A label on the back says it is to be cooled with liquid CO2.
Somebody retrofitted it with a 300PSI solenoid - We have since then
gotten a 1000PSI liquid CO2 solenoid.
The wiring in it is OLD and BRITTLE, BTW.

A few hours ago my boss is on my ass to get the cooling working by
next week.
Now I have a basic oxy/acetylene rig at home, but have never played
with liquid CO2.

I'm not exactly sure of what fittings/tubing to use ( copper,
stainless, double flare??).

Also, the boss says that CO2 isn't toxic, so therefore we aren't going
to vent it.
(it's setup in the back of a kitchen, where I work {our "lab"}- with
zero ventilation)

I don't mind doing potentially dangerous stuff in my own garage ( with
the door open), but this is an office full of people.

Am I way off base telling him to hire a professional to do the gas
fitting ( and leave the premises when he runs it without ventilation?)

Just wanted another opinion.

(And yes, I am looking for another job)

Thanks in Advance!

you must vent he co2 out side. It is heavier than air and in
concetrations of 2% will kill you. Call liquid air-linde compant they
do a lot of this. You can get cylinders with both a liguid and a gas
tap.