Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Enviro chamber liquid CO2 question?

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 01:00:59 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:55:58 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:

Further to your comments, 40 years ago the rooms may have been far more
"leaky" than they tend to be nowadays.

5% CO2 will cause unconsciousness in some individuals and 10% will eventually
cause unconsciousness and death in all individuals.

I speak as one who lost consciousness due to an environment that was later
measured with a Dreager tester to have 5% CO2. Since that environment happened
to be a very well sealed full-face crash helmet in a rain storm, I was
extremely lucky to get away with only a broken leg and a written off
motorcycle...

Mark Rand
RTFM

I'll bet you meant Draeger, as in Draeger rebreather, rather than
Dreager.

Luck counts, both ways. Glad you had good luck that day.

I'm reading _First Seal_ by Roy Boehm right now and he just cursed his
supply officer for putting Scott rebreathers (open circuit, bubbles to
the surface) on the sub which was taking them to Cuba to scout around.
Upon release from the sub at 60', one of his men urgently swam to the
surface with brine in the damned thing. He got lucky with inferior
product that day, too. Boehm had specified Draeger closed circuit)
rebreathers for safety and stealth, and had actually tossed the idiot
officer (a Naval engineer, no less) into the pool once, knowing that
the guy couldn't swim. The guy didn't learn his lesson, so I'm
waiting to read (later this morning) how Roy got back at him for that
second sleight. I'll bet it's a doozy.

Anywho, I find it fun when the group topic parallels my current book.
(Yes, I'm easily amused.)

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren