Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which lightbulb for my recessed lights?

"G" wrote in message
I have the H5ICAT (5") with 5020SC (specular clear w/ white trim). I
just installed 6 of them in my livingroom and am limited to either:

BR30 - 60 watt - Socket in HIGH position
PAR30 - 75 watt - Socket in LOW position

So...before I buy a bunch of lights, I took a quick look here and he

Par30:
http://electricalsupplies4less.store...atparhalf.html

BR30:
http://www.bulbtown.com/ProductDetai...=L7176&click=2

The lumens on the BR is 730 with 2500hrs.
The lumens on the PAR is 600 with 2500hrs.

However, the BR would sit higher in the can, the PAR would sit lower.

Questions:
1. Given I want the most light, I assume I choose FLOOD instead of SPOT,
right?

2. Which lightbulb am I better off with for general livingroom overhead
lighting? Should I always go with higher lumens if rated hours are the
same and cost is a non-issue?

Any other tips on this selection would be much appreciated! I don't
think I can buy, try, & then return lightbulbs to home depot so I'm
stuck with whatever I choose I think!

It is too bad that you didn't install the H7 as you would have had more bulb
choices and a variable bulb height adjustment. I go through this
occasionally with my customers. Everyone has different eyesight, taste and
needs. I suggest that you buy one of each and see how they look. They are
both halogen, but one is a hard light (75 watt) and the other is soft (60
watt). Some people don't like the hard light.