Posted to alt.home.repair
G G is offline

Default Which lightbulb for my recessed lights?

I have the H5ICAT (5") with 5020SC (specular clear w/ white trim). I
just installed 6 of them in my livingroom and am limited to either:

BR30 - 60 watt - Socket in HIGH position
PAR30 - 75 watt - Socket in LOW position

So...before I buy a bunch of lights, I took a quick look here and he

Par30:
http://electricalsupplies4less.store...atparhalf.html

BR30:
http://www.bulbtown.com/ProductDetai...=L7176&click=2

The lumens on the BR is 730 with 2500hrs.
The lumens on the PAR is 600 with 2500hrs.

However, the BR would sit higher in the can, the PAR would sit lower.

Questions:
1. Given I want the most light, I assume I choose FLOOD instead of SPOT,
right?

2. Which lightbulb am I better off with for general livingroom overhead
lighting? Should I always go with higher lumens if rated hours are the
same and cost is a non-issue?

Any other tips on this selection would be much appreciated! I don't
think I can buy, try, & then return lightbulbs to home depot so I'm
stuck with whatever I choose I think!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"G" wrote in message
[...]

It is too bad that you didn't install the H7 as you would have had more bulb
choices and a variable bulb height adjustment. I go through this
occasionally with my customers. Everyone has different eyesight, taste and
needs. I suggest that you buy one of each and see how they look. They are
both halogen, but one is a hard light (75 watt) and the other is soft (60
watt). Some people don't like the hard light.

Posted to alt.home.repair
G G is offline

In article ,
says...

"G" wrote in message
[...]

The H5ICAT allows for low or high socket placement. I bought long-neck
and short-neck Par30 75W halogens and I bought the BR30-60w as well. My
wife & I felt the 60w just didn't really put out enough light and the
bulb bulge stuck out too far even at the high socket setting. The short-
neck doesn't stick out as far since it has a flat face and puts out a
lot of light. So tonight when it's nice & dark we'll try the long-neck
Par30 which would sit at the higher socket setting and see how much
light it gives out to make our final decision. Thanks.

recessed lights cc Home Repair 4 January 7th 07 12:24 AM
Recessed Lights to Pendant Lights Jim Jacobs Home Repair 3 April 15th 06 11:18 PM
Recessed Lights Dave Combs Home Repair 6 March 23rd 06 08:22 PM
Sheared lightbulb in recessed socket kj Home Repair 26 September 19th 05 10:15 PM
Recessed Lights a12vman Home Repair 3 March 25th 05 11:29 PM