Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Enviro chamber liquid CO2 question?

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:18:46 -0500, the infamous "Pete C."
scrawled the following:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

[snip]

Liguid CO2 isn't cryogenic like Liquid nitrogen, so a CO2 cooled chamber
will be a good deal less dangerous than an LN2 one.

Like most any inert gas, CO2 will displace air and can be an issue if
enough is released in a confined space. Since it will sit low it tends
to be a greater risk to children and animals, which probably aren't an
issue in a work environment.

As far as I know, there is no CO2 mixed into medical O2. I have a couple
med O2 cylinders here, and an oxygen analyzer and I read 100% O2.

There is one exception - treating cases of carbon monoxide poisoning. If
I recall, the mix is 5% CO2 and 95% O2. The CO2 displaces the CO, and
the almost pure oxygen keeps you alive while this happens. Reportedly
it is very stressful to breathe this stuff - you feel that you cannot
get enough air, and yet are perfectly OK.

Joe Gwinn

Well, there is clearly more than one exception since my med O2 cylinders
contain *gasp* 100% O2. Also all my medical literature related to
emergency O2 use refer to 100% O2.

Hey, Pete, have you old farts with the oxy carts seen this video?

http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoaftIDS.html

Oops, I thought I remembered her with O2. Sorry.

(metal content, somewhere)

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren