Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default OT - God, then and now

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

news

Hi Harold,
You're most likely not believing any religious stuff you read on the
internet.

Not just there. I was born and raised in the Greek Orthodox Church.
They've never done a thing to harm me, nor have they called upon me for
anything. From my first recollections, a very young age, I had a problem
with the concept of a creator----way too much fantasy for a kid with a
scientific mind.

I simply don't understand the need for religion, although I can understand
that many need it in order to live a good and decent life. Mistakes I've
made were mistakes I'd have made, be I religious or not. I have always
understood right from wrong, although as a young person I was guilty of
ignoring good and sound principles. I was fortunate to have a father that
set a good example------he worked hard for his money and didn't cheat
people. His word was as good as his signature. AS I matured, I could see
the value of living a good life----with or without religion.

I firmly believe that we are responsible for everything we do, although
some folks are adept at lying to themselves, somehow distorting what is,
even when they know better. Such people generally do the wrong thing, then
look for any number of reasons to not be responsible for their actions.
I mention this because one need not be religious to live a good and
righteous life. I do not cheat my fellow man, and I am willing to help
where I can. I am a good friend, although I don't extend friendship
without some strings. That, of course, is the result of having been
mistreated by countless people that claimed to be good Christians.

One of the finest people I ever met in my life was an elderly gentleman that
was an atheist. He was generous to a fault, and a good and faithful friend.
I could see no way anyone could have improved on him as a person.
Certainly, belonging to a church wouldn't have helped.

Just to fill you in, false teachings have been around as long as
false teachings. It has always been a practice of God to "Sign" the truth
with signs and wonders, AKA miracles. That doesn't mean that all
religions that don't have signs and wonders are false nor does it mean
that all signs and wonders are God's signature on truth. There are many
Good religions that teach the essentials but don't see many miracles.
It's not that their teaching is wrong but that they have faith without
miracles. On the other hand, often false religions can reproduce the
miracles of God up to a point, they are limited though. One example is
the Egyptian magicians performing miracles equivalent to Moses' miracles
but the God of Moses kept on with the miracles that the Egyptian magicians
could not.

The problem with all of this is that while it may or may not be true----and
it generally isn't----even if you're to witness what someone might consider
a "miracle"----there's generally a very good and proper explanation for what
you have observed. In all too many cases, slight of hand is involved.

Interestingly, some time ago there was an article in the news paper that
discussed the very thing you mentioned----Moses and his miracles. It was
suggested that the Moses you speak of was not an individual, but, indeed, a
band of roving magicians that took advantage of the ignorant people of the
time. As I said, if you know more, there is usually a good and proper
explanation for what one may consider a miracle. But then, out of respect
for you as an individual, one that need not be an agnostic to share my
friendship, lets talk shop instead. Please understand that some very good
and well educated people have tried to swing my opinion and have never
succeeded. Likely one of the best comments ever offered was when my
mother inquired of one of the priests at the Greek Orthodox Church in Salt
Lake City, who is now deceased, but has a church named in his honor (Profit
Elias Greek Orthodox Church).

My mother was concerned about her son being a heathen. Father Elias told
her that not all people have a conviction------that I was fine as I was.
Heh! A holy man accepting me as I was. That, to me, is a cool man!

On Topic:

So, do you machine for a living now or are you retired and doing it as a
hobby?

Truth be known, I have been off the machines since 1983, when my hobby of
refining precious metals became overwhelming and demanded too much of my
time. I closed the doors on my business when we moved to the castle, which
was not finished. By the time I could have started the shop again, I was
so busy refining that I never looked back. I ran my humble operation for
16 years with outstanding success. I could have continued, but had no
inclination. I was totally burned out on machining, and still do not derive
much pleasure from running the machines. I kept them only because I know
that I would not do well without having them. I have plans of building a
live steam locomotive model, but I am also getting old and may not succeed.
I sold my refining business and retired in '94, just shy of my 55th
birthday.

That CNC mill sounds awesome, especialy if you get to play with it
in the hobby realm vs having to earn a living with it. I currently have
no handy shop. My shop is in the building at my old residence where my
mother currently lives. I've been hoping to get a shop building at my
current residence but finances have been too tight to make it happen.

It all takes time-----just don't abandon the quest. It is an excellent
retirement hobby, assuming you have the interest. I was retired when I
built the shop I have now, the only shop that would have truly fit my needs
when I was running the machines for gain. That may be your destiny as
well.

In my home shop I have 2 manual mills and 1 CNC mill, nothing under
2000lbs and a manual lathe, 13 X 54 South Bend, and a CNC lathe, 14 X 20
Yam. Both of my CNC machines came with Anilam Controls. I didn't get the
lathe control running so I converted it to run EMC2 from a Linux PC. If I
ever get a shop here, I plan to convert the mill to EMC2 also. The PC
based control is nice since I can transfer programs so easily.

I envy you your computer knowledge. That's my shortcoming, and will be the
most challenging of my plans. Machining, while I'm rusty, is not an issue.
CNC is.

You probably didn't do too bad by avoiding CNC until now because you can
get a lot more CNC machine today for the money than you could a few years
ago. For Example, my CNC lathe was $40,000 to the original buyers in 1986
but I bought it a couple of years ago for $1400 and spent perhaps $1500 on
the PC based controls, vfd, cable, etc.

I'd certainly have to agree that you can get so much more for the money
now----and when I was machining, CNC was not as well developed as it is now.
Considering my specialty was small volume production and tooling, I would
not have benefited as well as one would today-----and I had more work to do
than I could put out. Good customers, too.. I served the defense industry,
and counted amongst my customers Litton Guidance and Control and Univac.
Top quality work, and small, exactly where my talent was.

Good luck with the shop and machines. Keep us updated.

Harold