Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Is this group simply dying

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:10:13 -0700, wrote:

Our older fellas can't understand why anyone would want to turn much
more than a bowl, cigar ash tray, a gavel, and of course Christmas
ornaments. If they don't like what you have done, they pride
themselves in the "if you don't want to know, don't ask me" approach.
It matters little that the new guy may be thinking way out of the box,
or simply trying something new.

That's a shame. So far it hasn't happened to the club here in Spokane.
We usually get 30-50 members per meeting. There's a show and tell table
and some of the really good turners will critique a piece if asked.
There's a demonstration of how to do something. Last month it was
segmented bowls. Finally there's a wood raffle. We have an annual tool
swap/flea market, a picnic, and a Xmas party. Of course there's some
differences of opinion, there always are in any group. But so far they've
stayed polite. The clubs new website is:

http://www.inwwoodturners.com/

Note the page on mentoring.