Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Diesel Fuel in Heating Oil Furnace

This subject has been discussed ad nausium, but usually the other way, using
fuel oil in diesel engines. To recap, I contacted a number of oil companies
regarding this, and according to what they say -- it will vary by locality.
In some areas, mostly rural where there is a low density of buildings, the
furnace oil "may" be identical to diesel fuel, in populated areas, where
they can afford separate supply lines, there is a major difference between
diesel and heating oil. Mostly the diesel is high quality oil with additives
to ensure that the engine will run properly. In these areas the heating oil
can be any old crap (my words) that meets the minimum specifications and
will burn in a furnace.

The summary, diesel oil will work fine in your oil furnace, but in most
cases it will cost more because it is a premium product. In your case it may
be cheaper.

wrote in message
Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace
for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his
provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in
price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)