Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Is this group simply dying

On Oct 29, 10:09*pm, "Bill Noble" wrote:

there is no reason that 20 and 70 can't mix just fine, what it takes is the
"old guys" being interested in the young guys and visa versa - if it is a
clique and not a club, then the effect mentioned will happen

I agree completely. And this is what we have. The older guys (that
have been turning for all of 3-5 years now) think of themselves as the
old craftsmen.

The wide eyed 20 somethings go in there and hope for some tips,
instruction, and some helpful commentary on their work, and there is
little.

Our older fellas can't understand why anyone would want to turn much
more than a bowl, cigar ash tray, a gavel, and of course Christmas
ornaments. If they don't like what you have done, they pride
themselves in the "if you don't want to know, don't ask me" approach.
It matters little that the new guy may be thinking way out of the box,
or simply trying something new.

All of the older guys want folks to turn exactly like they do, and not
get too far away from the way turning was done on the old treadle
lathes.

I have preached about teaching the younger (and older) guys more about
the craft and how to have fun than anyone in our club. It is like
moving a 20 ton boulder up a hill with dental floss.

A way out there, exciting project might be a baby rattle. This could
be for an upcoming family addition, and the interest usually goes to
how many grandkids each of them have, some great grandkids, and how
much fun they are.

I honestly think most of these guys come to the meeting because the
don't have anything else to do, and it makes them feel like they are
doing something.

In the past we have had some truly talented (maybe gifted) turners
that were part of this organization. No longer so. Some just got
tired of the constant competition of who spent the most money on
tools, who had the most expensive lathe, etc. Sadly, a couple of the
good guys have died of old age, and a couple of others are now
incapable of turning due to loss of sight, arthritis, or shaking
hands.

In the competitive atmosphere of who turns the best bowl on the most
expensive lathe, they no longer feel welcome, even though they would
be the best of teachers. I would love to see them come back as
mentors, teachers, or just because they are great guys. But so far,
no luck.

No club will survive unless it has new members, and the old farts in
our club just aren't concerned about the welfare of the club at all.
At 52, I am the youngest guy there, and unless one other guy comes in
(he makes a meeting or two a year) I am always the youngest.
When I am not there, the average age is probably right at retirement
age.

Someway, they feel like they have "paid their dues" on the road of
life, and that allows them to act as they want with little regard for
others.

I don't have any answers, but I have tried through demonstrations,
staying after the meetings for one on one questions, coming up with
turning challenges, and being a rah-rah kind of guy for any new that
brings ANYTHING they turn. Anything at all. But I can't move that
rock by myself. And the old guys say, "well that's fine. Let Robert
do it. He has the time and energy to put into it. I know myself if I
had known I would be this busy when I retire I never would have done
it. I am busier now than when I had a job".

This is usually followed by a nod of several approving heads, all
affirming the reason they don't participate.

It is sad for me, because I have watched and tried to help this club
grow. I was one of the first members back in '97, and it went from 5
to an all time high of about 80. I learned a lot, had a ton of fun,
and we were really encouraging to each other and anyone that came
along. It was fun. No longer so.

I doubt our club will actually go much farther. How sad, too. San
Antonio, Texas is a city of 1.3 million with its included metropolitan
areas and incorporated cities within itself. You would think we could
stir up 20 - 25 good guys that really love turning, but apparently
not.

Robert

- if the club
makes an effort to welcome a new lathe owner - "hey welcome - how can we
help you? - this guy teaches boxes, this guy teaches bowles, we have a
sharpening workshop coming up in 2 months, and oh, that thing you showed is
really great - how long have you been turning - you are doing great" - good
chance you'll see them next meeting.