Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Diesel Fuel in Heating Oil Furnace

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace
for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his
provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in
price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)

Diesel has some additives that #2 does not have but it should burn OK. In
parts of Europe, the cost is the same for diesel and #2 oil and they buy
diesel all the time.. Rather than carry home hundreds of gallons, consider
having a different oil company do a delivery or two.

I read that some dealers are letting people out of the lock if they pay a
penalty since the dealer is also locked in to his supplier.

I know someone that is locked in at $4.59.

Folks around here (Maine) that are locked in at the higher prices are buying
from other smaller Oil companies and paying cash thus getting a discount as
well..I read an artical in the paper about nobody ordering oil through the
contract price and the oil companies being stuck with the useless contracts.
The guys that pre-paid ARE SCREWED......