Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32330 Ignoramus32330 is offline

Default Can a hard bearing ball be welded to mild steel

On 2008-10-30, Don Foreman wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:58:07 -0700 (PDT), Jman
wrote:

Hey People,

Concerning this "Attaching a Bearing to Mild Steel" thread.... does
anyone have any good suggestions for tools that can be made or tools
that can be bought so that a person could HOLD these ODD types of
metal together WHILE using both hands to BRAZE with ? I seem to be
having a difficult time "CREATING" or "FINDING" decent Clamps or
'third hands' that can hold "AWKWARD" objects firmly in place. Any
suggestions on how to HOLD items firmly together such as the Bearing
and Rods or SIMILAR 'weird shaped' steel objects would be greatly
appreciated !

I use drillpress vises, visegrips and sometimes magnets.

I used a magnet and the welding clamp to set that stuff on the table
aligned. Then I tack welded them (required no physical contact and no
movement) and then I could do whatever I wanted with them.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/