Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wfhabicher@hotmail.com is offline

Default Too good to be true?

On Oct 29, 5:48 pm, F. George McDuffee gmcduf...@mcduffee-
associates.us wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:45:41 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
snipIf you get a M3 spindle nose I would not bother with the set screw
type endmill holders.
The M3 collet holds the cutter securely.

snip
I have both the collet and weldon style holders. It is much
easier to change the endmills in the weldon style with a
setscrew, which may not be a consideration if you don't change
the endmill frequently. The MT is not self-releasing and you will
need some way to jack the collet back out of the spindle. Both
styles hold the tool securely.

You are correct that you only need the 3/8 and 1/2 sizes for most
[all?] tooling.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

I really don't want to get into a ****ing contest over this, but let's
get back to some basics:

1) small mill, therefore daylight space will be a consideration.
Set screw holders subtract from this because of their projection from
the spindle nose.
2) probably ONLY mill in shop, therefore daylight space is a
consideration, especially if larger dia. drills (longer) are
contemplated, along with a vise.
3) light mill/spindle construction, keep cutter projection from
spindle nose to a minimum.
4) set screw holders clamp the cutter with some eccentricity which is
detrimental to very small cutters when the chip-per-tooth load nears
the cutter run-out. Collets, good ones, run at better concentricity.

Just my thoughts.

Wolfgang