Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Too good to be true?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:48:22 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:45:41 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
snip
If you get a M3 spindle nose I would not bother with the set screw
type endmill holders.
The M3 collet holds the cutter securely.

snip
I have both the collet and weldon style holders. It is much
easier to change the endmills in the weldon style with a
setscrew, which may not be a consideration if you don't change
the endmill frequently. The MT is not self-releasing and you will
need some way to jack the collet back out of the spindle. Both
styles hold the tool securely.

You are correct that you only need the 3/8 and 1/2 sizes for most
[all?] tooling.

----------
PS to my own message.

While the Weldon set-screw style end mill holders are indeed
easier to change the end mills, these also extend 2 to 3 inches
below the bottom of the spindle and depending on what you are
doing this loss of spindle to table distance can be a show
stopper.

This is why I have both.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,