Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Sad, and Hard to believe, isn't it?

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Even though I've been a NRA member longer than I can remember, there's
no way I'd let my eight year old grandson fire a fully automatic weapon
"for fun".

It's just plain nuts....And in the state I live in too.

I shot my first fully automatic weapon at 7 or 8. It was a belt fed on a tripod and there
was a soldier right there with me keeping things under control. Whoa baby, that was fun!
It was some event where Army families were invited to see what dad was doing when he was
away.

As to the sad event, I don't think that was so smart. I shot a 1911 at a very early age,
it had one round in it, uncle knew two or more could be scary if something went wrong.

The robot we recently purchased has a teach pendant with a safety switch you have to hold
down. This one has an additional feature that if you clench it hard it will also cause an
e-stop on the robot. Some let go in crisis, some clench.

Sounds like the kid clenched on the trigger. Not an unexpected response. I'd like to
know why the instructor didn't 1) say, too young, 2) been almost on top of the kid until
he knew how the kid responded. I have no idea of kids physical attributes.

To balance this, some kid likely died that weekend on a dirtbike or atv or a parent didn't
put a seat belt on him. Guns will get more press though.

Wes