Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default Can a hard bearing ball be welded to mild steel

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 02:56:06 -0700, Gunner
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:20:28 -0500, Ignoramus20172
wrote:

So. Is there some way to weld it that would not crack and would hold up?

If the rod end is planar, I'd TIG it. Easy weld. If the rod end can
be made concave on the lathe, cone would do, then I'd silver-braze it.
The silver-brazed joint would be about invisible and have more than
ample strength.

Thank you Don.

I welded it with 410 stainless filler that I had, the choice of filler
was made "because I had it". I posted a link to pictures separately.

Isnt it amazing how much work gets done, even after the plans have
been changed to reflect "whats on hand"?

Gunner

all work is done with what is on hand when you think about it. :-)