Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Is this group simply dying

In message
,
" writes
But I think too, there is a trickle down effect from other forums and
postings. On one of the other forums I frequent, I find myself going
there less and less. The woodworking NG has become a personal blog
for many, posting almost daily their political views. The political
postings far outweigh anything to do with woodworking, and with so
many participating, I feel like the odd man out.

I must say many newsgroups have charters, and if a person posts in
contravention to the charter, you can contact their ISP, and in many
cases in the past they would warn/delete the persons account, as often
the action is also in breach of the AUP

I think another point that was mentioned that is quite applicable to
woodturning itself is the lack of interest in getting younger folks
involved. I was talking with an AAW demonstrator years ago, and we
were talking about the average age of woodturners. He told me that at
that time AAW estimated the average age of its members to be 67. That
certainly was in line with our club membership.

One problem that society has grow to is that many in the older
generation expect respect, and treat youngsters in a condescending
manner. Respect is earned, not a right. And both parties, young and old
have something to contribute to a hobby, Youngsters can often question
practices, which prompt new ideas, the more experienced then develop the
idea, and teach the youngsters. Its a team effort, continual learning. I
am only 45 , but I have taught skills to others, and take a pride in
when they understand, but more than that I also understand that one
teaching method is not suited to all, so change my approach until the
person I am teaching 'gets it'

On here I do not know the age range. But I do know that I have never
seen the condescending behaviour, that often occurs in clubs

When you come to the meetings now, it is sad. At our zenith we had a
great mix of young and old, and even a couple of women. Our monthly
meeting was about 50 - 60 people. Now, we are literally at about 10
in attendance if we are lucky.

I used to belong to a vintage motorcycle club, we started with 30, we
packed up when at a meeting we could not produce 1 motorcycle, and the
local vintage tractor club out did us with 3 Initial enthusiasm is
great, but often other commitments have not been factored into the
available time.

I don't know where woodturning is going, but I am thinking that it
will be its own undoing as far as enthusiasm goes. 25 year old guys
don't want to sit in a room full of 70 year old guys that have
absolutely no interest in what they are doing. In our club, an new
lathe owner will come to the monthly meeting exactly once.

Sometimes its down to them feeling intimidated by existing member's, and
what they create. Maybe is some of these "so-called experts" were to
bring along some of their disasters, these new members would realises
even the best have problems, but on top of this a failure can be an
excellent talking point as to why it happened and how it may have been
prevented

We offer a year's paid membership to anyone that buys a lathe at WC,
and younger folks just won't come back.

I know I am almost at the end of my one year commitment to the club
president to help get things back on track, and sadly we are failing
miserably.

Have the members been surveyed? Not as to what they want, but more to
what they think new members would like to see? And what they think
should be done to keep the club going and possibly increase membership?

I was once the Secretary of a HAM Radio Club, and I tabled a motion at
the AGM that required members to become members of the organisation
whose premises we used for FREE, and that subsidised alcoholic
beverages. The fee was a whole 4GBP ($8) a year ! They voted it down,
even though our constitution 'Required' that memberships should be taken
up if they were available. As you can imagine, the Chairman, myself and
treasure all stood down. Sometimes long-standing members have a
disproportionate influence on the rest of the membership

On the bright side of things here though, I think there are too many
lurkers and not enough posters. I have noticed that when a sincere
question is posted, many jump to answer, and I personally think that
is great. I am not sure why some are reluctant to post, but I always
encourage anyone to post anything they feel like, questions or
answers, of just MUSINGS (come on Arch... where did you go?) for us
all.

Arch's musings do make you think, and are a treat.

I must admit when I started turning 1 year ago, and joined the forum, I
had many questions answered as I filled in the gaps of what I needed to
know, but now its a case of putting the time into practice, when I
actually achieve something , I will get some images up of what a
beginner can do with practice.

For the last 9 months though my time has been spent on accumulation of
wood, preparing it for long term drying or for use. Part turning bowls,
accumulating tools etc. Squeezing all my tools into the workshop, and
getting me in there too

The big question is when does interest become hobby, become obsession,
become disease

--
John