Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

Lee Michaels wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote
Lee Michaels wrote:
"mac davis" wrote

OH.. now that we have 2 vista machines, one for home and one for
our
karaoke
gig, (our karaoke software kicks ass on Vista), Gateway is now
offering a "downgrade" to XP on new machines..

Be warned.

I needed XP to run my software, so I "downgraded". The downgraded
XP
does not run as well as the original XP.

The "downgraded XP" is the same XP as any other XP.

I have run them side by side. The downgraded one is not the same.

Then you should find the person who did the downgrade for you and
demand that he fix his hosed up installation.

The procedure for "downgrading" is to install Vista, activate it, wipe
it, then take your XP CD, the same one that you used to install XP on
your other machine, and install it using the Vista serial number. The
only thing different between them is the serial number.

If you are seeing different behavior on the two machines, then either
someone installed a different version of XP on one or the settings are
different between them. If the former then wipe your downgrade and
reinstall using the same disk you used for your other machine, if the
latter then fix the settings.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)