Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

mac davis wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:05:43 GMT, Han wrote:

Our printers are attached to the upstairs desktop. Her XP laptop
and my Vista laptop can easily print to the Brother 5040 monchrome
laser or the Canon pixma whatever color inkjet. No problem, except
running upstairs to change paper and collect the printout. Same
for
daughter and son and their Vista laptops. It took a while to get
the machines to recognize the printers on the workgroup in my house

It's sort of funny.. Her HP laserjet had to be moved to my XP
machine, but our much older HP "print/scan/fax but not very well"
printer works well with vista..

It appears that Micro$oft wants you to buy Office 07 as well as
Vista.

That may be so, but I still like Office 2003 much better, and it
works under Vista Home Basic just fine, so far. Knocking on wood

Same with us.. Seems like newer stuff is better sometimes, but
usually just takes more space and resources to do pretty much the
same job..

Vista does not really like Office 03.. Go figure!

Huh?

Every time she has a problem with Vista and office, support says
"Vista is designed to run Office 2007"..

Her printing problems only seem to be when she wants to print
multi-page files from Word or Excel..
She just prints them from one of our XP machines now..

OH.. now that we have 2 vista machines, one for home and one for our
karaoke gig, (our karaoke software kicks ass on Vista), Gateway is
now offering a "downgrade" to XP on new machines..

Office 2007 has a very different user interface from previous
versions. I can't see where it's an improvement, just different. For
someone who doesn't know the previous versions it may be OK, but it's
a pain in the butt if you have to go back and forth--the difference in
user interface between older versions and 2007 is at least as great as
the difference between older versions and Open Office or Word Perfect.

Incidentally a Vista Business or higher license is also an XP license.
This is not a new policy--an XP license was also a Windows 2000
license.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)