Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default Water Hammer - But not your typical kind

wrote:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:55:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 20, 5:39 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 18, 10:35 pm, Mark wrote:

On Oct 18, 7:20 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 18, 6:21 pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:15:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:
On Oct 14, 3:00 pm, henrypenta wrote:
On Oct 13, 8:13 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I know about water hammer - the loud noise associated with a rapidly
closing valve causing the water to slam inside pipes causing them to
bang. I also know most of the solutions - arrestors, expansion tanks,
securing pipes, draining the pipes, etc.
The water hammer I'm experiencing is different.
- Instead of a single loud bang, I get a rapid fire dull
thump-thump-thump almost like the rat-a-tat-tat-tat of a machine gun.
- They happen when just about any faucet, toilet, shower, appliance,
etc. is turned ON or OFF.

I believe I have solved the porblem.

I bought a $13 gauge and checked the pressure before and after my
pressure regulator. It was pushing 85 PSI in both locations, telling
me that my regulator wasn't doing squat.

I replaced the pressure regulator and now read 50 PSI inside the
house. It's been over 24 hours with no banging. Previous excursions
into draining the plumbing would eliminate the banging for just a few
hours, so I am hoping that this time it's gone for good.

The biggest pain now is due to the fact that I had to cut into the
drywall ceiling in my basement bathroom to expose the regulator. Now I
have a big hole to patch - flat taping in a small space - the worst
kind to try and hide!

And yes, I considered moving the regulator to a more accessible spot,
but that would involved some serious modifications to the existing
plumbing for something I hope not to replace for another 30 years, if
ever.

When you can't match - contrast. Rather than trying to get that
ceiling looking perfect again, why not install a nice little access
door? If you are not that skilled, you can buy ready made access doors
complete with frame, that fit into a precut hole.

I'd like to think I'm skilled enough to trim out an access panel - even
considered doing it. The problem is that the location would make it
difficult to "contrast" it and make it look good at the same time. It's
right near the door on one side, the fan/heater on another side - but
offset a bit, not centered in the room, etc, etc. I think it would stand
out even more than it should, but I'll keep it in mind.

I'm in no hurry to start mudding, so maybe a different solution will
present itself in the meantime.

Thanks!