Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Light bulb keeps burning out

"Frank Warner" wrote in message
. ..
It's the little things that drive you nuts.

We've got a light fixture over our kitchen sink. For the first three
years of its existence it worked flawlessly. We keep it on 24-7 as a
night light and for accent.

The fixture used one bayonet type florescent lamp. It's on the same
circuit as the dishwasher and disposal.

About six months ago the lamp burned out. We replaced it and it worked
fine. A month later, the new lamp burned out. This repeated about four
times when we finally decided to replace the fixture entirely, figuring
there was something wrong with it (faulty ballast?) instead of the
bulbs. Now we have an incandescent fixture with a single 40 watt
candelabra bulb.

These bulbs burn out with the same frequency, about every 3-4 weeks. So
now I think there's a problem with the wiring.

I've looked around at some DYI forums and one fellow had the same
problem for years. He said he fixed it by going to the panel. The
neutral wire to that circuit had repeatedly heated and cooled and
worked itself loose. He said he retightened the neutral connection and
the problems stopped.

I'm not at home right now so I can't check, but does this sound like a
possible solution?

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

A neutral can come loose anywhere along the circuit, not just at the panel,
however if it comes loose, the load on the circuit, in your case, the light
will flicker, and or go out altogether