Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Basic CNC Where to Start

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

Where do I start? I looked at adding a CNC kit to a mill myslef, but
most affordable mills are to small to do some of the work I want to do.
Am I back to looking at the rotary tool on rails setups?

Mills with obsolete CNC controls can be found for scrap price. Look for a
knee mill with a BOSS (Bridgeport) or Bandit control. If you're near the
left coast, there seems to be a lot of Shizouka mills, one of the best
choices.

Refit the machine with the PC based control Mach 3, This is a bit of a job
but there are several NGs to go for advice. CNCzone.com is one of the
best.

Good luck

Karl

I have been reading CNCzone and some others in my spare sit down moments all
weekend. There is just too much information to absorb.

Pickup a copy of Home Shop Machinist and look over the Tormach and
Smithy ads, both offer turnkey packages with mills large enough to be
able to handle your 12" square AL molds. If as you indicate there is too
much information to absorb on CNCzone, you probably won't want to spend
the time and effort to do a CNC retrofit yourself.