Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

In article ,
Lee Michaels wrote:

"Gary Heston" wrote

How many monitors do you need? Most of our workstations are dual monitor
with the GeForce 8800GTs... Perhaps you would benefit more with a better
video adapter (or two) to offload the main CPU a bit.

How many monitors do I need?? That is like asking how much sex do I need!

My applications cover so many different time periods and data, that it is
not possible to put them all together on one desktop. I am designing
workstations that will support on specialized poles, from 24 to as many as
40 flat panel displays. Another issue is the new wider flat panel displays.
Can my present applications utilize these wider dispalys? Or will they just
make it more difficult to see what needs to seen now? Again, details like
drivers and stresses on system resources need to be addressed.

I'd say you're definantly a niche market, with that many displays required.
Have you looked into clusters? That would allow lots of monitors to be
supported, provide lots of CPUs and memory, and improve reliability.

Another big problem is tht nobody really addresses how their product will
perform in these extreme applictions. It really boils down to the fact that
there is a cycle involved as to how often you upgrade/replace hardware. You
get the best you can get at the time with funds available.

So, I suppose calling SGI is not an option...

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Why is it that these days, the words "What idiot" are so frequently
followed by the words "at Microsoft"?