Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default BlackBerry mobile phone software for engineers

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:34:01 +0000, geoff wrote:

and the risk of a spark from e.g. dropping your keys ?

Keys tend to be brass, thus don;t spark.

not mine - only the yale key is

Iron or steel is normally
required to make a spark. I agree the risk from a mobile phone is minimal,
they don't after all take any precautions to prevent static discharge. May
be an urban myth but the a reason for the ban of transmitters on
forecourts is so the electronics in the pumps doesn't get confused and
misread...

I think it's as case of "we don't know, so we'll ban them anyway"

--
geoff