Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default BlackBerry mobile phone software for engineers

In message , Graham.
writes

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Hi, a theoretical question aimed at gas engineers. I'm part of a
small team developing applications for BlackBerry mobile phones and we
are looking to produce a product for gas engineers whether one person
businesses or larger operations.

Is the blackberry handset qualified as intrinsically safe in an explosive
environment?

But, as any air hostess will tell you, they do have a flight-safe mode.

Actually, this is something I haven't really thought about,
I well understand the dangers, albeit theoretical, of hand held
transmitters in petrol forecourts, and it makes sense to extend
the precaution to other potentially explosive situations, but
as things stand, are gas engineers required or advised
not to take phones into these situations?

When JCB went through the gas pipe at the entrance to our estate, one
of the gas "engineers" (as you like to call them) was standing there
smoking a roll up looking down into the hole

a) not hot enough

b) domestic gas is only explosive between 5 and 15% concentration

I think that the practical possibility of a mobile phone causing an
explosion is somewhere on the region of zero

--
geoff