Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair
Pat Durkin Pat Durkin is offline

Default come-along

"mm" wrote in message

And I have a pair of sneakers on their last legs.

Glenn has already wondered about the sneakers and whose legs they are
on. I wonder, in addition, how you will guarantee those are their last
legs. Will you direct your heirs to destroy them? How well do you
trust the administrator of your will?

I used to carry
cover-alls to but I lost them when my car was stolen. But I got new
sneakers. Once my car broke down between 5th and 6th on 47 or 49 st.
in NYC. I was wearing nice leather shoes and didn't want to scratch
them when I was lying under the car. (It was about 6:30 PM on a
weeknight, and very quiet on that block.) Then I didn't want to damage
my socks so I took them off too, and I walked around 47th St. for over
an hour, working on the car, going to a pay phone, waiting until a
friend brought me parts, and I didn't cut my feet at all, or ever get
them very dirty. But I still carry old shoes now.

And salt and pepper, whhich I use pretty often.

How does it work in an emergency? Do you creep up on a tow-truck and
shake the seasoning on the crane? I imagine you have a very refined
technique by this time.