Old October 20th 08, 10:11 PM posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default come-along

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

Old October 20th 08, 10:20 PM posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:11:45 -0400, mm
wrote:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

I worked as a construction engineer and that's the only thing
I've ever heard it called. I'm sure there are brand names,
though, but still, construction workers are an earthy lot.

On the other hand I see at
http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/come-a-long.htm that they are
referenced as "come-a-longs" but are called "power pulls", a
misnomer it would seem to me, since they are hadn operated.

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html calls them
"come along winches".

Old October 20th 08, 10:22 PM posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

A come-along is a hand operated ratchet lever winch. A winch is a
mechanical device used to wind a rope or cable, while a ratchet is a
mechanical brake that keeps the line from unwinding.
From : http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-come-along.htm

I have only heard of it as a come-along, but have seen them for sale as
"manual ratchet winches" with pictures, so I could understand they were
the item in question.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&btnG=Sea rch

Old October 20th 08, 10:22 PM posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 5:11*pm, mm wrote:
Is there another word for a come-along? *That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

Maybe it's slang, but if you DAGS come-along, that's what everyone
calls it.

The only place I didn't see that term used was he

http://www.nextag.com/AMERICAN-POWER...95/prices-html

Even http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/come+along calls it a
come-along.
Old October 20th 08, 11:17 PM posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

"Winch" however "winch" is more generic.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old October 20th 08, 11:18 PM posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

What a straight line!

Lim time.....

A bather whose clothing was strewed,
By breezes that left her quite nude.
Saw a man come along,
And, unless I am quite wrong,
You expected this line to be lewd.

and....

A blond airline stewardess, Faye,
Has achieved quite a record today.
She screwed without quittin'
From New York to Britain,
It's clear she has come a long way.

and...

Said Marie with a look of some pain,
"I've biked over quite rough terrain."
"Though I enjoyed every ounce,
Of each jiggle and bounce,
I won't come (along) this way again!"

***************

No less an authority than the ubiquitous Harbor Freight calls them this:

And also this:

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Old October 20th 08, 11:51 PM posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

Is there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

If you're talking about the winch-type thing that exerts steady, slow
pressure on a cable, strap, or chain in order to move an item or object
attached to the other end of the chain. strap, or cable, the other word is
"winch".

But you've been involved in this group long enough to know that context is
often very helpful.
Old October 21st 08, 12:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re come-along:

s there another word for a come-along? That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

I just call them a "hand winch". IMO much more descriptive of what
they do, than "come-along" etc.
Old October 21st 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Said Marie with a look of some pain,
"I've biked over quite rough terrain."
"Though I enjoyed every ounce,
Of each jiggle and bounce,
I won't come (along) this way again!"

Reminds me of this:

Two Dutch girls are riding their old rickety bikes down the back streets of
Amsterdam one late afternoon. As it turns closer towards dusk, the
increasing darkness of the streets starts making the two girls a little
nervous when one girl leans over to the other and says, "You know, I've
never come this way before."

The other girl nods and says, "It's the cobblestones."

Old October 21st 08, 01:15 AM posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 5:11*pm, mm wrote:
Is there another word for a come-along? *That word sounds like slang
or vernacular.

OK...

Now that we've got the name of the device figured out, how about a
long line of "Best Use Of A Come-Along" stories...

It was 1973 and I was stationed at the Coast Guard base on Governor's
Island, NY. While driving around Queens one night I came upon a
flooded section of road, lost control of my car and slid sideways into
a fire hydrant.

This 4-door Dodge was of the style that had a "half-post" between the
front and rear door. I hit the hydrant right at the post, bending it
in until it was pressing against the side of the driver's front seat.
The front and rear doors both popped open and obviously wouldn't
close. The rear door was sitting at this weird angle since it was
attached to the bent post.

I drove back to the base with the doors part-way open and roped in
place.

The next morning I went over to the maintenance shop for the bouy
tenders that were stationed at the base. I grabbed a come-along and
some chain and drove up next to a 10,000 lb bouy sinker. I hooked one
end the chain to the bouy sinker's loop and the other end to the post
in my car and started cranking on the come-along. The car started
leaning towards me without the post even moving, so I wedged some
large hunks of wood under the frame. This kept the car upright and
within a few minutes the post was upright and both doors open and
closed normally.

Other than the hole the hydrant punched in the rear door, you never
know I hit anything.