Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

"Gary Heston" wrote

This is usually a symptom of memory problems, most often not enough of it.
Put in 4GB if your system will take it (only 64-bit versions of Windows
can address more than that; the 32-bit versions can only use 3.5GB). Use
the same brand and type modules; they will play well together better than
mixing brands or speeds.

Nope, not a memory problem. Just a lot more data and computations than the
original software was designed for. Which is why everybody is going to the
duocore.

One particular application I found allows me to use the quadcore. But it is
only one application. But the savings in functions, etc should justify the
extra cost. Not just yet theough. We'll see.

Another poster mentioned using ECC memory; that will also improve
stability,
but it adds to cost. It's usually found in servers rather than PCs, so
expect to spend $300+ for a motherboard, for example.

I will look into that. The problem with the server boards I have had in the
past, they don't run a lot of monitors. I have need for lots of monitors.
The big limit to the monitors I can run in this freezing and slowing
behavior when the data increases beyond a certain point.

I've been building systems at work recently with dual quad-core Intel Xeon
CPUs, SuperMicro X7DAL motherboards, 12GB of memory, and GeForce 8800GT
video cards, dual booting between Windows XP and RedHat Linux. Also built
some similar ones with 2GB and no fancy video in 1U rack cases (one of
them at 100% CPU puts out less heat than a dual 3.2GHz Xeon while doing
4x the work) for computation servers running Fedora 7. The users like
them quite a bit, and I haven't heard of any stability issues.

Sounds like my kind of machine! I been hearing about the 64 bit windows
seven. The memory constraints of older operating systems will be gone. I
am certain that a lot of my problems would go away with enough memory.