Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default Where are YOU cutting back?

I've been cutting back for 7 years (I look ahead).

Basically I have done everything I can to reduce fixed monthly expenses. If
these expenses are reduced, then I have more discretionary money each month.

I have free-to-air mpeg satellite (no monthly charge) and have no paid TV. I
also have zillions of VCR tapes. Nobody wants them anymore, I recently
purchased 100 VCR tapes for $10 the last day/hour of an estate sale. (They
sat there for 3 days.)
Free-to-air satellite: http://www.sadoun.com/Satellite-Products.htm

I have all electronic devices on power strips and turn off power when not in
use.

Have super-insulated my house and installed Energy Star windows.

I have new Energy Star appliances which use much less energy.

Energy Star....
http://www.energystar.gov

My car, which I purchased 4 years ago for $300 plus 1k in repairs, gets 38
MPG. (This was when no one wanted small cars.)

I don't take a shower unless it is needed. I can skip a couple of days in
the winter, summer sometimes 2 times a day - but as needed.

Food - I shop in a grocery store with price per ounce on the shelf label. I
buy the lowest cost per ounce foods. Sometimes I pay $20 for something
instead of $4, but the price per ounce is lower and I am getting more food
for what I spend.