Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
Matt J. McCullar Matt J. McCullar is offline

Default Splattering solder into eye?

I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff

hitting a cyclist's eyes.

It happens. Some states have laws for motorcyclists requiring them to wear
eye protection while riding. I've worn eyeglasses for many years, so I've
never had anything hit me in the eye while riding a bicycle. But when it
does, it's going to be at the worst possible time.

Once I was leaning over the back of an open television set to squirt some
tuner cleaner into it. Somehow that spray liquid shot back out through
another hole in the mechanical tuner and managed to crawl over my glasses
and hit me right smack in the eye. Yeah, it stung a little, but I did
manage to wash it all out right away.

Solder joints are mysterious creatures. One that looks perfectly normal can
literally explode when touched by a soldering iron. I sure wouldn't want a
piece of hot solder, no matter how small, to hit me in MY eye. Stick a
soldering iron into a head of lettuce if you want to know what it sounds
like.