Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Default Splattering solder into eye?

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:18:23 +0100, WW wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news
Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering
into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in
my
eye. How bad is it?

Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!

It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering
iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time
not one piece has hit my eye.

If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so
wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more
than say a fly whacking into it while cycling?

I had it happen once when I was unsoldering a wire from a terminal, and
when it came loose, a small piece of solder hit my eye. I think I even
heard it sizzle. Luckily, it was a small piece and it hit the white of the
eye, so it did not affect my vision, and eventually it worked its way out.
Since then, I always wear glasses. Of course, now I also wear them so I can
see what I'm doing.

You should also always wear eye protection when cycling. A fly might not
cause damage, but a bumblebee or other large insect could put an eye out.

Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:57:44 +0100, Paul E. Schoen wrote:

[...]

Do the eyelids not automatically close?

Luckily, it was a small piece and it hit the white of the
eye, so it did not affect my vision, and eventually it worked its way out.

You mean it stayed there for a while? If it hits the skin, it usually knocks straight off.

Since then, I always wear glasses.

Did it hurt?

Of course, now I also wear them so I can see what I'm doing.

:-)

You should also always wear eye protection when cycling. A fly might not
cause damage, but a bumblebee or other large insect could put an eye out.

I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff hitting a cyclist's eyes.

Don't waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Do the eyelids not automatically close?

Yes -- right on the piece of solder.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
WW WW is offline

wrote:

[...]

-I was trying out a new motor cycle on the way home from work and did not
have my riding gear. Only going to go around the block. A speck of
something entered my eye. It had to be surgically removed. This was
painfull until removed. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES.

http://www.petersparrots.com http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Don't waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff

hitting a cyclist's eyes.

It happens. Some states have laws for motorcyclists requiring them to wear
eye protection while riding. I've worn eyeglasses for many years, so I've
never had anything hit me in the eye while riding a bicycle. But when it
does, it's going to be at the worst possible time.

Once I was leaning over the back of an open television set to squirt some
tuner cleaner into it. Somehow that spray liquid shot back out through
another hole in the mechanical tuner and managed to crawl over my glasses
and hit me right smack in the eye. Yeah, it stung a little, but I did
manage to wash it all out right away.

Solder joints are mysterious creatures. One that looks perfectly normal can
literally explode when touched by a soldering iron. I sure wouldn't want a
piece of hot solder, no matter how small, to hit me in MY eye. Stick a
soldering iron into a head of lettuce if you want to know what it sounds
like.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

At what speed? I was talking about a bicycle.

Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:58:04 +0100, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Do the eyelids not automatically close?

Yes -- right on the piece of solder.

Your reactions aren't up to scratch then. They're supposed to close while the solder is flying towards you.

(( _______
_______ /\O O\
/O /\ / \ \
/ O /O \ / O \O____O\ ))
((/_____O/ \\ /O /
\O O\ / \ / O /
\O O\ O/ \/_____O/
\O____O\/ )) ))
((
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 02:27:03 -0000, Matt J. McCullar wrote:

I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff

hitting a cyclist's eyes.

It happens. Some states have laws for motorcyclists

MOTORcyclists travel faster.

[...]

I'm not even going to consider how you might accidentally throw the soldering IRON into your eye!

Why do they rate a movie "R" for "adult language?"
The only people I hear using that language are teenagers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Peter Hucker wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:58:04 +0100, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Do the eyelids not automatically close?

Yes -- right on the piece of solder.

Your reactions aren't up to scratch then. They're supposed to close while the solder is flying towards you.

How do you figure that, without knowing the velocity
of the solder - or even whether one sees and reacts to
it?

And, as to the idea you posted that a bicycle rider can close
his eyelids fast enough - ridiculous. Even an occasional
rider can easily hit 40 mph or more downhill, the object
can be launched from a car's tire at high speed, a bug
may come from the side etc.

You have no way of knowing whether his - or your - reactions
are fast enough for the eyelids to protect from solder splatter
or airborne objects/bugs/whatever while bicycle riding, because
you don't have any data on the speed at which the object
approaches the eye or the distance it must travel or even
whether the conditions allow the eye to detect the approaching
object. Sheesh! Even people walking have gotten stuff in their
eyes, blown by a gust of wind or whatever.

Ed
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Methinks we may be dealing with a troll here, but eye protection while
operating a vehicle, whether motorized or not, is important for maintaining
control as well as protection from eye injury. The eye rapidly repairs
corneal abrasions, and I have heard that it is the fastest-healing part of
the body. Here is an interesting link:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...70/ai_n6159408

You are probably going to be injured much more seriously by losing control
of your vehicle, rather than the direct result of a foreign object hitting
the eye. It may be unlikely that both eyes would be compromised at the same
time, but it could happen.

If you get steel slivers in your eye, you can use an eye magnet:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...magnet_tr.html

And, your government grant dollars at work:
http://www.1ad.army.mil/Safety/Visio...PROTECTION.pdf

More on eye safety:
http://www.eyehealthillinois.org/eyesafety/index.html

Paul

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

CHA CHING!!!

Peter Hucker, one of Usenet's most prolific trolls.

PHucker spends most of his time on alt.binaries.chatter - his favourite
topic is bragging that he goes about his life without regard for rules or
laws, he seems to have branched out into net-kopping on the sci groups
lately.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Nothing wrong with a little trolling under the right circumstances but
Peter takes it to the extreme.

I asked a simple question. Is asking a question now considered troling?

If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have something to do with a shortage of flowers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:52:14 -0000, ehsjr wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:58:04 +0100, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Do the eyelids not automatically close?

Yes -- right on the piece of solder.

Your reactions aren't up to scratch then. They're supposed to close while the solder is flying towards you.

How do you figure that, without knowing the velocity
of the solder - or even whether one sees and reacts to
it?

Experience. I've virtually never had anything hit my eyeball. But have often had things hit my closed eye.

And, as to the idea you posted that a bicycle rider can close
his eyelids fast enough - ridiculous. Even an occasional
rider can easily hit 40 mph or more downhill, the object
can be launched from a car's tire at high speed, a bug
may come from the side etc.

Perhaps. But it hasn't happened to me. If a car is overtaking and throwing up stuff, I tend to squint my eyes in advance!

You have no way of knowing whether his - or your - reactions
are fast enough for the eyelids to protect from solder splatter
or airborne objects/bugs/whatever while bicycle riding, because
you don't have any data on the speed at which the object
approaches the eye or the distance it must travel or even
whether the conditions allow the eye to detect the approaching
object. Sheesh! Even people walking have gotten stuff in their
eyes, blown by a gust of wind or whatever.

Dust perhaps, but not large enough objects to cause damage.

It seems a farm boy accidentally overturned his wagon load of corn. The farmer who lived nearby heard the noise.
"Hey Willis!!" the farmer yelled. "Forget your troubles. Come in with us. Then I'll help you get the wagon up."
"That's mighty nice of you, " Willis answered, "but I don't think Pa would like me to."
"Aw, come on," the farmer insisted.
"Well okay," the boy finally agreed, and added, "But Pa won't like it."
After a hearty dinner, Willis thanked his host. "I feel a lot better now, but I know Pa is going to be real upset."
"Don't be foolish !" the neighbor said with a smile. "By the way, where is he?"
"Under the wagon."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 02:31:38 -0000, Paul E. Schoen wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Now that sounds cool. I take it they make absolutely sure the doctor nurse and patient are not wearing any metallic rings etc first!!!

And, your government grant dollars at work:
http://www.1ad.army.mil/Safety/Visio...PROTECTION.pdf

More on eye safety:
http://www.eyehealthillinois.org/eyesafety/index.html

Stupidly named websites:
http://www.whorepresents.com
http://www.expertsexchange.com
http://www.penisland.net
http://www.therapistfinder.com
http://www.powergenitalia.com
http://www.molestationnursery.com
http://gasheating.co.uk

why 60-40 solder? [email protected] Electronics Repair 73 February 21st 08 08:06 PM
Solder? Pop` Home Repair 84 December 27th 06 01:15 AM
Old Solder Phillip944 Home Repair 23 December 13th 05 03:21 PM
SMD Solder Sunny Electronics Repair 0 January 10th 04 04:49 AM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM