Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default Moving a bridgeport

With plan A be sure to check the weight limit of the van license! You could get a pretty
high-dollar ticket for being overweight. I believe the towing vehicle license includes
the GROSS weight of both the van and any trailer behind it.

You may want to be sure any moving parts are locked into place so they don't move during
shipment.

Anti-sway devices?

Be sure the driver is experienced at pulling a loaded trailer.

As far as the Ryder truck is concerned, should the load begin a sudden move the sides
would be little protection. Tie the thing so many ways that it's difficult to ever BEGIN
moving - then drive very very carefully when approaching intersections and curves.

Perhaps they'll have a Lull or similar "cherry picker" that can set the load forward where
you want it. You can probably find something to tie it to to slide it toward the door for
the unload. However, you may want to put plywood under it prevent damage to the truck
floor.

You may want to FORGET THE RYDER and rent a trailer if yours is not available. It's hard
to beat being able to sit the load exactly where you want it and lift it right back up
without having to push, pull, drag and scratch the floor!

I know a fellow who brought a large mill to his shop and it weighed about 6000# or better.
It was on the right rear corner of a lowboy and though he had two 5000# forklifts
neither could lift the load. He approached from the rear and began a lift while I got
under his forks from the side. We got it up so someone else could pull the lowboy out
from under it. The fun began as we tried to sync our decent rate to the ground. There
was no "crash and burn" but it got interesting momentarily.

He found a large slab of metal perhaps 1.5" thick or better and burned a hole in one end.
We stuck a chain through that hole and I lightened up on one end and pulled while he
pushed from the rear. We dragged it across the lot to the door and then put several short
pieces of round stock under it to roll it into position -- no conduit or pipe -- something
solid.

Al

=========

Vernon wrote:
Gentlemen,

Early next week I will depart on a 580 mile odyssey to fetch home my
new bridgeport mill. Thanks to Iggy (Thanks, Iggy!!!) I have a copy
of a bridgeport operation and maintenance manual.

The manual contains some illustrations and guidance on UNPACKING a
mill. I get the impression that this manual was printed for british
consumption. First, it mentions a Whitworth 3/4" J hook that screws
into the top of the head to be used as a lifting lug. Second, the
manual uses the word "whilst" and other distinctly british spellings.
But the machines were indeed manufactured in Bridgeport,
Connecticut... yes?

I have not yet resolved how to get the machine home. Plan A involves
me towing an 18' pintle hitch trailer behind our old 1 ton Ford diesel
van. The trailer is purpose built for moving backhoes. It is a very
stout trailer. With a backhoe on it, the trailer would be too heavy
for the Ford. But with a 2200 mill and 800 pound welder the gross
weight will be about 8,000 lbs, which I consider well within the
capacity of the 1 ton van. The van has fully steel belted, commercial
duty tires on it. The trailer has tandem axles and dual wheels all
around.