Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default OT - Fire in Garricks's Villa

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 23:05:20 +0100 John wrote :
It always seems to me that fire fighting is less successful than it
used to be. Any thoughts on this? Perhaps the water isn't as good -
or don't the hoses get pointed in the right places.

The older the building, the more suspect the integrity of the
structure. Each new round of services means more holes knocked through
floor voids etc, never to be made good of course.

There is no way I would ever feel happy living in an upper level
conversion flat in a building with timber floors. If the people below
you suddenly get the urge for concealed spots, what are the chances
that they will worry about fire hoods or the effect of the integrity
of the ceiling.

My new high-rise flat here in Melbourne is sprinklered - two heads in
the bedroom - but not the drench type found in commercial buildings,
rather ones that (AIUI - do not intend to test g) just give a fine
spray if triggered.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' www.superbeam.co.uk