Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Skylights: double up the rafters?

"TWayne" wrote in message
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Thanks,

Aaron

Defintely NOT, as you stated it anyway. But I think something was lost in
the translation. I'd bet on it.

My guess is he's talking about the roof deck or the ceiling below the
skylight. It does weaken the structure slightly but I don't know what
sistering the rafters is needed. For a truly accurate answer, you'd have to
know the span, the skylight size and the rest of the construction details.
I'd check to see if the skylight manufacturer has suggestions.