Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Skylights: double up the rafters?

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:57:40 -0400, Toffee Monday wrote:

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Aaron,

I'd be looking for a new carpenter. This statement by s/he, speaks
volumes about their knowledge.

Reasoning is incorrect, but I would double up the rafters to stiffen it up
to guard against flex-induced cracking. I like to overbuild so I don't
have to do any repairs later.

Mike D.

P.S. get off googlegroups. Many a wise man blocks them out and your post
is only seen if a less wise person fails to filter them.