Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Skylights: double up the rafters?

On Oct 24, 6:49 pm, "Toffee Monday" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

s.com...

On 10/24/2008 3:40 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in
between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole
in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that?

Yes.

Wrong information, for the question asked.

I've been a carpenter for 30 years. I have yet to
see a communities building code that doesn't require
doubling up the rafters. It's typical for bigger towns
and cities.
Lou