Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Splattering solder into eye?

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:57:44 +0100, Paul E. Schoen wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:18:23 +0100, WW wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering
into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in
my
eye. How bad is it?

Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!

It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering
iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time
not one piece has hit my eye.

If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so
wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more
than say a fly whacking into it while cycling?

I had it happen once when I was unsoldering a wire from a terminal, and
when it came loose, a small piece of solder hit my eye. I think I even
heard it sizzle.

Do the eyelids not automatically close?

Luckily, it was a small piece and it hit the white of the
eye, so it did not affect my vision, and eventually it worked its way out.

You mean it stayed there for a while? If it hits the skin, it usually knocks straight off.

Since then, I always wear glasses.

Did it hurt?

Of course, now I also wear them so I can see what I'm doing.

:-)

You should also always wear eye protection when cycling. A fly might not
cause damage, but a bumblebee or other large insect could put an eye out.

I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff hitting a cyclist's eyes.

Don't waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.