Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Deck Stain

ransley wrote:

On Oct 24, 12:13*pm, Luca wrote:
Had a new deck installed, pressure treated lumber, coastal SC,
mostly in a shaded area. I need to stain it a dark green (condo
rules). Not sure if I should use latex or oil based stain. Web
research seems to indicate either is good choice. Does it need any
prep before staining?

Opinions on oil vs latex?

Oil would be better but it has to dry to about 15%, its shipped wet at
near 85%, get a moisture meter. Its could take many months to dry,
like next year, and temps must be right or it will fail.

I'll second ransley's recommendation.

The treated lumber I buy has instructions that say not to put on a
finish for at least three months. Since water _drips_ out of the wood
when I drive a screw, I assume the water content is near 100%.

If you put finish on with the wood still wet, the finish will likely
peel off. Follow the instructions on the can carefully.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement