Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck Stain

Had a new deck installed, pressure treated lumber, coastal SC, mostly
in a shaded area. I need to stain it a dark green (condo rules). Not
sure if I should use latex or oil based stain. Web research seems to
indicate either is good choice. Does it need any prep before staining?

Opinions on oil vs latex?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Luca" wrote in message

Had a new deck installed, pressure treated lumber, coastal SC, mostly
in a shaded area. I need to stain it a dark green (condo rules). Not
sure if I should use latex or oil based stain. Web research seems to
indicate either is good choice. Does it need any prep before staining?

Go to the library and look into Consumer Reports. The index
will tell you when deck stains were last testes (usually every
couple of years.) Review artices are written for beginners.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 12:13*pm, Luca wrote:
Had a new deck installed, pressure treated lumber, coastal SC, mostly
in a shaded area. I need to stain it a dark green (condo rules). Not
sure if I should use latex or oil based stain. Web research seems to
indicate either is good choice. Does it need any prep before staining?

Opinions on oil vs latex?

Oil would be better but it has to dry to about 15%, its shipped wet at
near 85%, get a moisture meter. Its could take many months to dry,
like next year, and temps must be right or it will fail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 12:29*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Luca" wrote in message

Had a new deck installed, pressure treated lumber, coastal SC, mostly
in a shaded area. I need to stain it a dark green (condo rules). Not
sure if I should use latex or oil based stain. Web research seems to
indicate either is good choice. Does it need any prep before staining?

Go to the library and look into Consumer Reports. *The index
will tell you when deck stains were last testes (usually every
couple of years.) *Review artices are written for beginners.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Cabots oil is CR recomendation
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:13:03 -0400, Luca wrote:

Had a new deck installed, pressure treated lumber, coastal SC, mostly
in a shaded area. I need to stain it a dark green (condo rules). Not
sure if I should use latex or oil based stain. Web research seems to
indicate either is good choice. Does it need any prep before staining?

Opinions on oil vs latex?

Cabots Decking stain (oil -based). Follow the manufacturer
recommendations and it should last a few years. Be extra generous on
the end grain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

On Oct 24, 12:13*pm, Luca wrote:
Had a new deck installed, pressure treated lumber, coastal SC,
mostly in a shaded area. I need to stain it a dark green (condo
rules). Not sure if I should use latex or oil based stain. Web
research seems to indicate either is good choice. Does it need any
prep before staining?

Opinions on oil vs latex?

Oil would be better but it has to dry to about 15%, its shipped wet at
near 85%, get a moisture meter. Its could take many months to dry,
like next year, and temps must be right or it will fail.

I'll second ransley's recommendation.

The treated lumber I buy has instructions that say not to put on a
finish for at least three months. Since water _drips_ out of the wood
when I drive a screw, I assume the water content is near 100%.

If you put finish on with the wood still wet, the finish will likely
peel off. Follow the instructions on the can carefully.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with their comments. Cabot’s oil is the best recommendation.
Like what they say, just follow the instruction carefully.
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com