Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default come-along

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 06:22:25 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

mm wrote:

My last 3 cars haven't been able to use a bumper jack, but I still
saved the one from my Buick for who knows what I''ll need it for?

Heh! Don't use it on a bumper!

Modern bumpers are designed to come off. Or crumple. Or just die of shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClQPs5QcxQs

And a Jeep, no less. Doubly humiliating.

I guess if they attached the chain to the axle, they might have ripped
off the axle. Probably have to attach it to both axles, or both ends
of both axles.

I got stuck in the sand once at Breezy Point, or whatever is west of
Riis Park on a barrier island at the end of Flatbush Avenue in
Brooklyn. Everything was fine until I slowed down. (from 20 or 25mph
to 10)

I looked around and saw 2 or 3 rusted hulks of cars, from when the
tide came in and covered the cars with salt-water. Or at least a foot
deep.

After I tried for a while, I saw a guy on the sand with a Jeep or
pickup and asked him to tow me out. He refused.

I tried more of the same. I tried rocking the car. No good. I let
air out of my rear tires, but it didn't help. This was before cell
phones. I thought of walking back to the last gas station. It was 2
or 3 miles and I didn't know if the tide was going out or coming in.
I had a girl with me at the time, and I'm sure she was impressed,
although that was the least of my worries.

30 or 45 minutes after I asked him, the guy came over and towed me to
a place where the sand was shallow and there was firm dirt under the
sand. I think he just wanted me to sweat a bit so I wouldn't do it
again. I think he said that. He wouldn't take money.

This was back when cars were cars. It was probably a '67 Pontiac
Catalina. convertible.