Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve Russell[_3_] Steve Russell[_3_] is offline

Default introducing new reader here

Hello Tom,

Welcome to the incurable addiction we all call "Woodturning"... :-)

CA's as others have pointed is the abbreviated name for Cyanoacrylate
Adhesives, aka "Super Glue." The more technical common name is alkyl
2-Cyanoacrylates. I wrote an in-depth article on CA's that you might like to
peruse for more information:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...acrylates.html

I get the same error message at the link to the woodturning book. Perhaps
the link has changed and the page has not been updated? There are numerous
references to gouge grinds on the Internet. My website has several examples
as well. One thing you will learn is that although there are "standardized"
names for many different types of grinds, there can also be different names
for the same grind. :-o

For example, I have seen a traditional round nose scraper grind also called
a full round, a bullnose, a fingernail and a complete round by various
woodturners around the country. It's the same thing, but with different
names. It can be a little confusing at first... Some newer tool grinds are
slightly different from the "traditional" grinds, thus different names are
used to distinguish them.

Bowl gouges are a great example, there are many different variations of a
traditional Irish grind and lots of different names are used to classify the
various differences. Some of the names relate to the same grind but are
known by different names in different parts of the country. Others names do
in fact relate to different designs in the shape of the grind. Irish ground
bowl gouges can be referred to as lay back grind, swing back, swept back,
drawn back, Ellsworth, wing back and my own "Texas Irish" grind to name a
few.

It's enough to make your head spin... :-o To help you learn more, check out
my website www.woodturningvideosplus.com where you can find more than 60
free original woodturning educational articles on various topics that will
help you get up to speed. I also have a free monthly newsletter "Lathe Talk"
that offers lots of tips and tricks to make woodturning easier and more
enjoyable. There is a lot to learn in woodturning, but that's half the fun!

If I can ever help you, please do not hesitate to contact me. Take care and
best wishes to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com

Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 10/21/08 6:02 PM, in article
, "tom koehler"
wrote:

I'm tom koehler, from Two Harbors Minnesota. Retired last year from 32 years
on the railroad as a trackworker (primary job in the track dep't was track
welder). I have been making sawdust in my very small basement with a
Shopsmith for 35 years. I am aware of most of its shortcomings as a lathe,
tablesaw, drill press and anything lese asked of it, but by golly with the
space I have, it is my only recourse. As a consequence, I live by the words
of a tagline in a popular song of some years ago, "If you can't have the
tools you love, then love the tools you're with..." or something like that.

I have found that if my block of wood is not perfectly balanced, the SS will
dance a pretty jig, when I am not in the mood for dancing. As mentioned here
in another thread, the speed reducer for the SS is kind of a kludge, but if
used with smaller blocks, the work is manageable.
I'm self-taught on the lathe, from books - mostly "The Wood-Turning Lathe" by
Haines, Adams, et al. pub. 1952, Van Nostrand. This was my dad's book. He had
a SS from that period, and I remeber watching him in his little garage shop,
making some Keene's cement lamps from one of the projects in this book.

My lathe work has been mainly smallish things of a wide variety, mostly
between centers. I have done some faceplate work, split turnings (brown paper
and white glue) and chuck work with purpose-make friction-fit wood chucks.

I'll scan through and read postings on this NG on a regular basis, to pick up
useful bits of info, and try to post stuff if it is within my realm of
experience. From what I have read here so far, you folks are some pretty
serious turners and way the heck out of my league, so am not sure what I can
contribute of value to you. I will have plenty of questions, though.

first Q: what is "CA"? I keep seeing references to it, with no idea exacctly
what it is. I have not seen references to a FAQ for this NG, so will gladly
go to it, if there is one.

second Q: I tried going to
http://www.shopss.net/books/WoodTurn...odTurning.html to get a
gander at the book referred to, but could not get in. Message said I didn't
have clearance or permission, or similar message. Another person in this NG
apparently ahs this same book on his website, but no reference where that
site was. Am interested in looking at this book, I think, so am hoping to get
pointed in the right direction.

third Q: refers to a particular type of grind on a bowl turning gouge. Ah, I
am in pretty near perfect woodturner's isolation here, folks, so will need a
more thorough background in bowl turning gouge technology, here, I think. My
tool set is limited so far, to a set of basic Craftsman turning tools a
couple of home-brew tools, and a hefty gouge I bought from a tool catalog
many years ago. Has a peculiar looking (to me, anyway) grind on its end -
intended for bowl work. I've had mixed results with it, and so will be
looking for a clue, again.

Enough for now, so here is a virtual shot and a beer for you if you want it,
for getting this far. Thanks for your time.
tom koehler